help with a snail problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatropicalfishguy78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i need help for one of my tanks. i have a snail problem in oneof my tanks and the snail trap isnt working. i was wondering if a type of animal can help me with this problem. anything other than clea helena. 10 gal tank two guppies, two ghost shrimps

assasin snails (clea helena) will eat them. Loaches will also eat snails but your tank is too small for them. IMO the Assassin snails are the way to go

Quest84 said:
assasin snails will eat them. Loaches will also eat snails but your tank is too small for them

+1 agree with the assasin snail would do it what kind of snails are they

thatropicalfishguy78 said:
would a yoyo loach be able to help? and where can u get an assasin snail other than online?

Idk how big a yoyo loach gets and idk if they eat snails but you could try nearby lfs in your area if they dont have any then online

A yoyo loach wouldnt work in the 10g they are a shoaling fish best in a group of 5 and they get up to 5 inches

Yoyos are to big for that tank IMO, they come to big from the store, not just grow to e to big. Assasin snails are the way to go.

Metioned the yoyo loach because i saw a small lone junville yoyo loach at a petstore and i think its overpriced($7.39) because the store is having trouble keeping it. i was thinking of putting it in another tank. as for the assasin snails i dont know if know if they sell them at my lfs

My clown loach took care of all the snails in my tank including the assassin snail in just under 6 months.

First of all snails generally become a nuisance in tanks due to over feeding.

I had a pond snail problem in my 50g, I cut back feeding to every other day and removed the snails whenever I saw any. During PWC I would hunt for egg sacks in the corners of my tank.

So far I've been 2months without seeing a single snail.

I didn't have to buy anything to deal with them.

If you buy an animal to take care of a problem you then have to feed that animal once the problem has cleared up.

Have you tried manual removal?

Jon

jondamon said:
First of all snails generally become a nuisance in tanks due to over feeding.

I had a pond snail problem in my 50g, I cut back feeding to every other day and removed the snails whenever I saw any. During PWC I would hunt for egg sacks in the corners of my tank.

So far I've been 2months without seeing a single snail.

I didn't have to buy anything to deal with them.

If you buy an animal to take care of a problem you then have to feed that animal once the problem has cleared up.

Have you tried manual removal?

Jon
Assassin snails tend to scavenge left overs after getting all the pest snails
But your right overfeeding is a cause to the issue and manual removal works good too just takes a little longer

Assasin snails will breed in the tank but not at the rate of the nuisance snails also moat peopke want them so if they do become a decent sized colony you could sell them to your lfs.

Back
Top Bottom