help with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abbly

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently planted my 75 gallon tank I have pressurized co2(drop checker is green) and started dosing EI ferts as per the estimated index. 3 times per week (Monday Wednesday Friday) with the 50 percent water change on Sunday weekly. I am dosing three quarters of a teaspoon kno3. 1/4 of a teaspoon kh2po4, 1/4 of a teaspoon trace elements. I have recently been experiencing issues with algae outbreak on the tank glass as well as on the plants. I'm running satellite plus LED fixtures 2 × of them.I'm going to attempt to reduce my photoperiod, As some days they are left on up to 10 hours to see if that helps the algae outbreak, but I'm looking for more tips

ForumRunner_20131017_183946.jpg

ForumRunner_20131017_184013.jpg

ForumRunner_20131017_184057.jpg

ForumRunner_20131017_184116.jpg

ForumRunner_20131017_184135.jpg

ForumRunner_20131017_184154.jpg

on what could be causing the imbalance or if the tank just needs to reach equilibrium point Thanks

How long has the tank been set up? Reducing the photoperiod always helps but depending if you just have diatoms which are self limiting and will go away once excess silicates in the water are exhausted or some other type of algae (I can't tell in the pic's) increasing the CO2 slightly will also help. It does take alittle time for a tank to balance since you have to find just the right amount of time to run lights and how much CO2 to use. Your dosing with a good fert regime so it's just a matter of tweeking everything to find the sweet spot.

If you can get a close up of the algae I can identify it. Some algae can be spot treated with hydrogen peroxide or liquid carbon.

It may just be diatoms. . The tank is establish and has been set up for quite a while , years. However I did change the substrate out to economic complete recently so it's possible it's diatoms and the tank just needs some time . The co2 is up quite high. 3+ bubbles per second . I've turned off 1 light fixture and I'm going to pick up another timer and set them for 6 hrs and see if things improve

Back
Top Bottom