Help with anchor worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeebm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just noticed that two of my tetras seem to have anchor worms. Obviosly, I want to control it before it gets out of hand, but I'm having difficulty finding a proper treatment. Best I could find was Clout: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=

Has anyone had experience with this? It says not for use with scaleless fish. I have a BN pleco, corys and otos in the tank.

Any help with anchor worms would be appreciated.

--Adeeb

Clout is a very serious (and old school) insecticide. Its also very difficult to ever remove fully from a tank. As long as you are positive they are anchor worms, treat with Cyropro (made by Hikari). Its a newer insecticide but not in the same class as clout/lifebearer/fluke tabs/etc (all have the same active ingredient, DTHP). It does not have the same toxicity & is safe for all fish, frogs, snails, etc. Amazon/Ebay as well as quite a few other retailers sell it. But, make SURE you follow the directions exactly. You can also remove the worms with tweezers to make the fish more comfortable but this will not eliminate the infestation in the tank.

Ok cool. I was having trouble finding a safe product. Pretty sure it's anchor worms. Y-shaped white thing, about 3mm, sticking out of the anal region of one fish and the top fin of another.

--Adeeb

I am sorry about your fish :(. Did you dose the med exactly for your tank size? How long did you have the tetras before you noticed the worms? Quarantining new fish for a decent period of time before introducing them to your established tank will prevent issues with disease & treatment in the future.

The tetras that I saw the worms on were a year old. I had introduced new fish 3 days earlier... I dosed for 40 gallons (actual capacity is about 44-45).

--Adeeb

Unfortunately, you likely have had anchor worms in your tank for quite awhile now and the fish you lost likely had them as well even if you didn't see them externally. Anchor worms are insidious creatures (they are not actually worms either but copepod crustaceans) that burrow into the muscle & organs of fish. By the time you see a visible Y shaped worm, the worm is already nearing the end of its life cycle after going through many stages of transition both free swimming and living on its host. Only the female worms are visible to the naked eye. Treatment is your only option and you may unfortunately still possibly lose fish. Keep an eye out for any signs infection at worm locations or internally. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom