Help with anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AqUaNoOb86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I just got a long tentacle anemone last night. I did all the proper acclimation procedures and he seemed to take well to the water. My problem is that he hasn't had the chance to attach himself to anything and I think my clowns are being too rough. I have another tank that is currently in the cycling process so I'm not sure if I should put the clowns in there for a couple weeks or not. This is just what I've read that could be a problem. If anyone has some suggestions please chime in. The anemone is on the substrate right now and it doesnt look like he has a foothold yet on anything. I am very new to all of this so in advance, if there are any abbreviations you will talk about can you please spell it out for me because I won't have the slightest idea what any of them mean...yet:brows:Thanks

Don't put them in the cycling tank. Get them into a different container with some water from your tank with a heater and they should be fine as long as you keep replacing the water daily.

Ok, what size container? Will a 5 gallon bucket do? I dont have anymore tanks. And how long should I keep them separated for? Thanks

I wouldn't do that. They need surface agitation for flow. I would simply turn the flow off in the tank and put the NEM on a rock. Mine attached like this in about 15 minutes after I moved him and 3 seconds when he went in the tank. Make sure his foot is in the rock and not the tentacles.

ok guys so I separated my clowns for a while from the anemone until it looked like it had a good foothold on something. I let the clowns back in the tank and they quickly recognized the anemone as their host. the female clown started trying to move the anemone and eventually moved it to the left side of the tank behind a rock. Now the female is ripping off tentacles from the anemone! What do I do?!

That doesn't sound good..... At all. There is not way a clown should be able to move a healthy anemone. I could barely do it.

crister13 said:
That doesn't sound good..... At all. There is not way a clown should be able to move a healthy anemone. I could barely do it.

I think he has a very good point once my nem choose a spot it was his spot

Ya I didn't think it was good either. Well the female clown seems to be leaving the anemone's tentacles alone now. Actually today when I fed the fish, the female clown took a piece of krill down to her anemone I guess to feed it. The anemone took it right away so I'm thinking this is a good thing. Although the anemone does look a little battered I'm hoping it will recover within the next few weeks.

I don't have any experience with anemone/clownfish combo myself... So this is just a thought, and will need input from someone more experienced... Is it possible the clownfish was taking off dead or injured tentacles? As kind of a way of cleaning it, or helping it?

cashmoney6980 said:
I don't have any experience with anemone/clownfish combo myself... So this is just a thought, and will need input from someone more experienced... Is it possible the clownfish was taking off dead or injured tentacles? As kind of a way of cleaning it, or helping it?

Idk I would think tho the clown would feed the tentacle back to the nem if possible my clarkee pair were "hoarders" they would stick anything into the nem rocks sand shells anything they could muster to lift and carry onto the nem

Back
Top Bottom