Help with API nitrite reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevintoronto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello last month we inherited a Betta from a family friend moving to US. It was in a 0.5 gallon plastic container, unheated and unfiltered which I would not stand to continue.
So I got a 5 gallon tank with filter and heater, and cycled (I thought!) Completely. Nitrites were hovering at trace levels less than 0.25. When they hit zero I went for it and maybe should have left another few days to stabilize. Now he's in and I don't think it is better to move him back so I am dosing with prime and stability.
Nitrites are hovering around the .5-1 I think? But I don't know whether to read the "purpleness" or the "darkness"?
Image attached.
By purpleness I say 1 but it is very light. I am stressing over it more because the Betta is in tank now and I'm hesitant to out him back in the small tank if I can get him through with Prime.
I've done a couple of 30% water changes but frustratingly haven't really seen much of a change in nitrites after that.

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_083726.jpg
    IMG_20200601_083726.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom