help with brine shrimp needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingcichlid87

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi guys i have made my brine shrimp hatchery but im not too sure what type of salt i need to add to the unhatched eggs and how much i need to add . is thwere anything els that needs to be added to the mix ?

for my angelfish fry

fill with 3/4 water and 1 tsp. of sea salt and one tsp. of eggs- let it run over night 24 hrs i think. turn off air and let egg shells rise to the top approximately 20 min. then drain through a coffee filter or brine shrimp screen then rinse with cool water.

Hi! Do you know if your brine shrimp eggs are de-shelled or not? If they are, they'll be easy-peasy. I've used Instant Ocean or something similar in the past, and they hatched well between 35-40 ppm salinity with temps around 80 F. It also helps to aerate the hatchery pretty vigorously. If they're not de-shelled, you can let them hydrate, like Bob said, or if you're in a hurry to start hatching them, you can get them de-shelled within an hour with household bleach and sodium thiosulfate.

For quick de-shelling:
Mix up a bleach solution (between 1 parts bleach: 9 parts water to 1 part bleach to 1 part water, you'll just have to keep a closer eye on them the stronger you go) and aerate them for 30 minutes, or until you notice they start turning orange. Add enough sodium thiosulfate to neutralize the bleach (this might be a bit tricky depending on how much bleach you use; I used a straight 1:1 ratio, so if I used 100mls of bleach, I filled my measure up to 100 mls with the sodium thiosulfate crystals), and let it aerate for a bit more until the bleach is neutralized. Then let the eggs sit around so the shells will float to the surface and you can skim them off. Once you get all (or most) of the shells off, rinse rinse rinse! Coffee filters sound like they would work great for this, Bob ;), After that you can add the eggs to the hatchery, and just wait for them to hatch :)

Ok, I checked out their website, and it looks like they ship out the cysts. Just make sure to hydrate or bleach them and skim off the empty cysts before you hatch them; the very first time I hatched brine shrimp I didn't do it very, and empty cysts have been in that system ever since :/

hi

ok how would i hydrate them ? i though t i just add the seas salt brine shrimp eggs and leave it running off a airpump for 30 hours lol . is that wrong ?

I use whatever salt I have around and a pinch of baking soda. After 24 hours or so I check to see if they've hatched, if so then I let the water settle and the bulk of the bbs will be in the center to lower part of the water column. I use a turkey baster or airline tube siphon to suck them out of there without getting the shell casings.

I've done the decapsulating thing a few times and it's pretty cool if you get the method down.

Back
Top Bottom