Help with button polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StartingInUtah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was given some button polyps a couple weeks ago and I am really worried about them. I wasn't planning on getting them and was told to just put them in and they would be fine. I am worried that they are not doing well, though. I wish I had some pics to share on here so you could see what was going on but I will do the best I can to explain it. I have one of them that has 5 heads and looks like one more head is starting right now. My concern is that the tentacles on three of the heads seem really long to me. I may be wrong since I know nothing about them but that is how they seem to me. On another one of the button polyps that I was given it looks like it is not doing well at all to me. It seems to be losing its color and the tentacles are really short. Can anyone tell me how to care for them and maybe where I should place them in the aquarium and maybe what I should be looking for with them? I am really lost with them and was not planning to add coral for a long time until I was ready to spend some time researching them out. I think I may have made a mistake letting him give me these but like them and don't want to lose them either. Please give me some help and advice. Maybe I can still make this work.

Thank you.

These are mine

6218-albums5987-picture31669.jpg

Depending on your lighting will be where you put them at. I only have VHO lighting so mine are at the top of my rocks. Obviously If I had stronger lighting I would put them lower. They are easy to keep and require no feeding. They get all they need from the lighting and water column. Mine are 15 years old

Those look very nice. Thank you for sharing that with me. Mine are more of a brownish color with green in the middle. The tentacles on mine seem to be about the same size as yours so I won't worry about those ones. I am worried about the other one. I am wondering if I have it too close to those with the long tentacles. Would that make a difference? Also, could you tell me anything that I should be looking for as far as water parameters, temperature, etc.? Is there anything I need to make sure is in there as far as food goes? Etc. Any help you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thank you again.

Like I said I dont and have never fed mine. They dont need it. Mine are green just at that angle its hard to tell. As long as yours are in normal water parameters they will adjust. Here is a different picture of mine when I took it at night time

6218-albums5987-picture29987.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom