help with cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I use two different forums questions, and I get mixed answers on this one. When to change my filter cartridge on my hob. One says to wait till its falling apart the other says monthly, so which is it?

My filter has two cartridges (for a 55 gal) I know when I do change it; change them one at a time to let bacteria catch up.

The reason I ask this is because I cycled my tank back in may/June, when I was don’t I obviously started adding fish and plants. I kind forgot to check/clean the filter for about a month to a month and a half. When I did it was very guncky. When I do pwc I notice the water has a little bit of a brown tint to it, I thought it was from the wood I put in until I realized the cartridges.

Now with that being said should I change them? I don’t want brown tinted water.

All my parameters are ok I check almost daily.

brian7 said:
I use two different forums questions, and I get mixed answers on this one. When to change my filter cartridge on my hob. One says to wait till its falling apart the other says monthly, so which is it?

My filter has two cartridges (for a 55 gal) I know when I do change it; change them one at a time to let bacteria catch up.

The reason I ask this is because I cycled my tank back in may/June, when I was don’t I obviously started adding fish and plants. I kind forgot to check/clean the filter for about a month to a month and a half. When I did it was very guncky. When I do pwc I notice the water has a little bit of a brown tint to it, I thought it was from the wood I put in until I realized the cartridges.

Now with that being said should I change them? I don’t want brown tinted water.

All my parameters are ok I check almost daily.

Na just rinse them out in old tank water. Whenever you take them out IME it makes the water look nasty buy I'll clear up soon. No need to replace filter media until it is literally falling apart. And then I would keep them behind the new ones for about 2wks and then toss the old ones. You should be fine

The best thing you can do with HOB filter cartridges is to modify them into permanent filtration, so that you don't have to constantly throw them away. Here's some easy steps that you can follow to accomplish this:

(only do this with one cartridge and then wait awhile to do the other)

You will need:
- A cartridge.
- Good cutting scissors or a box-cutter.
- Foam pad material (you can buy the foam pads that they sell for other filters, or any good foam can work)

1. Take the cartridge, and cut open the "wool" or whatever they use to cover it with.
2. Cut the wool back until the entire side of the cartridge is exposed.
3. Dump out anything inside the cartridge. Carbon, resin, really not necessary in a healthy aquarium.
4. Cut pieces / strips / chunks of foam so that they can be fit into the "guts" of the cartridge.
5. Put the foam into the cartridge and make sure it's a nice fit.

Voila! You now have a filter cartridge that won't clog as easily, and will rinse out much better and can be re-used a lot more!

The best thing you can do with HOB filter cartridges is to modify them into permanent filtration, so that you don't have to constantly throw them away. Here's some easy steps that you can follow to accomplish this:

(only do this with one cartridge and then wait awhile to do the other)

You will need:
- A cartridge.
- Good cutting scissors or a box-cutter.
- Foam pad material (you can buy the foam pads that they sell for other filters, or any good foam can work)

1. Take the cartridge, and cut open the "wool" or whatever they use to cover it with.
2. Cut the wool back until the entire side of the cartridge is exposed.
3. Dump out anything inside the cartridge. Carbon, resin, really not necessary in a healthy aquarium.
4. Cut pieces / strips / chunks of foam so that they can be fit into the "guts" of the cartridge.
5. Put the foam into the cartridge and make sure it's a nice fit.

Voila! You now have a filter cartridge that won't clog as easily, and will rinse out much better and can be re-used a lot more!

Exactly. Customize and create your own cartridges
DIY filters are cost-effective and versatile

Most of the materials used in cartridges (carbon, wool, floss, sponges) you can purchase separately.

Back
Top Bottom