Help With Colormax Bulb.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua hobbyist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a new bulb, it's color a color max mini compact flueroscent 10 watts. But is it good ENOUGH for anubius and java ferns/moss?!?!

By color max, do you mean the pink colored one? They are for making colors of fish and plants pop. You may be able to get some growth with it, but I would get the 6500K bulb instead.

Does the bulb say anything on it? Can you post a link of the bulb you got?

That bulb looks good. It's the aqueon color max bulbs that are pink. This one is 6700K. That is in the right range for plants. We need to know more info about your tank before we can tell you if it is enough. What size is it? Are you dosing fertilizers?

It's ten gallons, only low tech plants (anubius,java fern), will get ferts if needed, no substrate, no co2

But what's color max, is it better than fleuroscent for plabts?

Last edited by a moderator:
aqua hobbyist said:
It's ten gallons, only low tech plants (anubius,java fern), will get ferts if needed, no substrate, no co2
That will be fine for low light plants but I would get a more powerful bulb in the long run for more plants. I used a 15w one on my 5g tank and only grew low lights.
aqua hobbyist said:
But what's color max, is it better than fleuroscent for plabts?
It is a fluorescent bulb that is specifically made for aquariums. It is just as good as a flouresct spiral bulb with the same specs (color temperate, output, etc)

aqua hobbyist said:
I heard that there will be algae growth, is that trie

only if you either don't have enough plants or have it on for too long.

aqua hobbyist said:
How many anubius should I get then?

I would start with just one and see how it does so you know if that light will be enough or not.

If I put ferts in the tank, will that help it prevent algae from taking over my tank?

aqua hobbyist said:
If I put ferts in the tank, will that help it prevent algae from taking over my tank?

It depends on what you dose. You could dose flourish excel and that would prevent algae. Another option is dosing co2.

Im getting seachem but not sure if excel, will other ferts also prevent algae?

aqua hobbyist said:
Im getting seachem but not sure if excel, will other ferts also prevent algae?

Seachem is a brand. Which one are you getting? Flourish, excel, etc. It depends on the type of algae. Nitrates can get rid of blue green algae, while carbon dioxide and other supplements help get rid of most algae.

Would this be good??

Sorry, forgot to post pic

Attachments

• image-3578082787.jpg
    image-3578082787.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
aqua hobbyist said:
Would this be good??

That won't really help prevent algae because the nitrate it contain is in very small amounts. Either way, I don't think you will have issues with algae. If you do, you don't need to buy ferts to fix it. You can just add more plants or not leave the light on for so long.

aqua hobbyist said:
Do ferts ONLY prevent algae or do they do other stuff

They also provide nutrients for the plants to use in photosynthesis. Usually they grow faster. This would cause them to use more light, leaving less for algae to use.

Back
Top Bottom