Help with deciding on which fish to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! :)

OK so I have a 20g High tank. Currently in there are 6 male Guppies. I am planning on also adding 4 Julii Cories.

Then I was going to add 7 Neon Tetra... but I am wondering if there are any other options out there. Perhaps a hardier fish? I'm a beginner and don't want to kill my Neons! :( .

So, I am looking for ideas of my next fish. It has to be...

1. Hardy *This can be toggled a bit. It's okay if they aren't extremely hardy.
2. Small- as in under 1"-1.5"
3. Peaceful, doesn't fin nip * A must for my male Guppies
4. Attractive/Cute/Colorful

I have ruled out Harlequin Rasbora, as they are too large. I also would not like any Glowlight Tetras, even though they are small enough, and they have a nice strip of bright coloring, the dull grey color on the body just isn't as appealing to me. I'm starting to think Neons are my only choice, but would love to hear form anyone who thinks otherwise.

So, are there any suggestions that come to mind? I was set on Neons but after seeing them in the store today... I think I may have changed my mind.

Thanks so much! :)

"Pork chop" rasoboras (trigonostigma espei).... take a google at them and see if you like them.

Pork Chop Rasboras? Hmmm I have never heard of them, so I doubt any of my Pet stores would carry them. I googled them and I see they are similar in coloring to the Harlequins.

I have just discovered that Harlequin Rasbora aren't as large as I thought they were... so they are a possibility. I'd just get 5 or 6 instead of 7.

Still very indecisive. Opinions or other suggestions welcome!

as long as you have an established tank and keep your water nice and clean (PWC's every week, other maintenance as needed) you don't really need to worry about a fishes "hardiness" . that being said, you could do cardinal tetras (my preference over the neons), von rio tetras, ember tetras (i will be picking mine up in a week or two! :D), cochu's blue tetras, bleeding heart tetras, lemon tetras, rummy nose tetras, black neon tetras, and probably many others. i definitely recommend tetras, though, like many on here know, i am a big fan :D i already have 3 types, soon to be 4. they're great little schoolers and fun to watch. i've heard the same for rasboras as well, and i really like the looks of espei rasboras. they're much prettier than the harlequins IMO.

Thanks for all the suggestions! +1 EDIT: Sorry, it won't let me give you anymore rep points :/

Cardinals are nice, but I feel they overpower the Guppies' coloring. My pet stores don't carry them anyway.

My LFS has some really nice Orange Von Rio's, but again, the bold coloring may not pair so well with my male Guppies. I really like these, though, so they may still be an option. I'll have to look into them a little more.

Embers have nice coloring, and are a great size, but I'm not fond of how you can see their bones and such. Again, not sold near me anyway.

I looked up Cochu's Blue Tetra and they are stunning! I love their coloration! Unfortunately, I have never seen them in stores, nor heard of them, but I do really like these.

Bleeding Hearts? I could very possibly be mistake but I thought these get quite large? Perhaps I am confused..

Lemon Tetras's red eyes scare me, lol.

Black Neons are really nice. I do like these. I would have both regular and Black Neons if I had a big enough tank!

Again, thanks for all the suggestions! Now I have something to think about. Right now the Harley's are out. Neons, Blue Tetras, and Von Rio's are in.

you're right, the bleeding heart tetras do get a little bigger, and after reading a little just now, it looks like they have nippy tendencies, so they may not be a good choice for you anyway.

aren't the cochu's gorgeous??? i love them, too. my LFS had some for a while. actually, HN1 & severum mama have some for sale if you can't find any and are able to order online. their prices are great,too. ends up being about the same you would pay at an LFS in the end. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f25/fs-beautiful-community-fish-128373-2.html they also have albino black neons that are wicked, and i think you might like the gold white clouds. they're really pretty.

Back
Top Bottom