Help with established tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erin3217

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new here but Im after some advice and hoping someone can help!! My boyfriends mom gifted me her two 30 gallon aquariums which she had set up for 5+ years.. One has 2 red tail sharks, a loach and 2 sucker fish the other one is only guppys. I was told by local pet store to save as much of the water we could when we moved them. . We did that and I only had to add maybe 1 gallon of our water to the tanks. Ive had the tanks 2 weeks now and last week (one week after having them here) the guppys started dying. Ran to the pet store to have them test my water and give me some advice. The pet store said the electrolytes were very high so she recommended getting a couple different chemicals. I went and bought my own at home test strips so I can keep an eye on the levels.. Its now been 1 week since this all started and my levels are still testing high, they are slightly better but still not good. I was hoping to get some advice as to what to do to get the levels straightened out since I am still finding dead guppys. Three things that changed is the aquarium were established and started with city water and at my house we are on a well, so I was thinking that possibly has something to do with it and also during the move the tank they were in cracked on top so I had to purchase a new tank with is 10 gallons smaller then the other and also I am converting it to a planted tank so I now have real plants. Im just looking for some advice as to what I can do to fix this before I go out and buy stuff that is currently not working. Also I have 3 tanks all together now. My chichlid tanks water tests the same way and those fish are fine and the other tank I got from my boyfriends mom, that water also tests the same and those fish are fine, it is just my guppy tank that the fish are dying. Thanks for any advice!

Just curious what electrolytes they test for. These are freshwater, yes?

Jeez. This sounds really rough. I'm glad you're checking in before buying chemicals.

Electrolytes - it's what fish crave!

"What about water?" "Like in the toilet?"

So guppies are now in a brand new 20 gallon tank? How many?

Fish deaths can cascade. One fish dies and releases ammonia. The ammonia stresses or poisons other fish, who die and produce ammonia. Suddenly you have a dead tank.

The ONLY additive I would recommend right now is SeaChem Prime. Being on a well, you probably don't have chlorine or chloramines in your water, but you may have heavy metals that could distress the fish. Prime also neutralizes ammonia and nitrites.

When you run out of test strips, get the API master test kit. It's more accurate and economical.

Start with water changes. Temperature match water and treat it with Prime. Any toxins will be diluted, and it should help the fish recover.

You want ammonia and nitrites to be zero.

How are the sharks doing? We had a redtail shark in our 29 gallon until it took a bite out of one of its tankmates (who survived, thankfully). They really don't belong in such a small tank. Like really really

I have never heard of testing the water for electrolytes?
as for old water versus new I don't see how the water change would be killing them off drastically unless you have a new filter. if you are using the same old substrate, and filter then you should have a good colony of bacteria.
your tank for some reason may have started a new cycle. and is now trying to catch up with all the guppies bioload.
I would get some bacteria booster to supplement your water. I use the product stability and add it whenever i add new fish but it has explicit instructions on starting a new tank.

are you using water conditioner?

Just curious what electrolytes they test for. These are freshwater, yes?

Jeez. This sounds really rough. I'm glad you're checking in before buying chemicals.

Electrolytes - it's what fish crave!

"What about water?" "Like in the toilet?"

So guppies are now in a brand new 20 gallon tank? How many?

Fish deaths can cascade. One fish dies and releases ammonia. The ammonia stresses or poisons other fish, who die and produce ammonia. Suddenly you have a dead tank.

The ONLY additive I would recommend right now is SeaChem Prime. Being on a well, you probably don't have chlorine or chloramines in your water, but you may have heavy metals that could distress the fish. Prime also neutralizes ammonia and nitrites.

When you run out of test strips, get the API master test kit. It's more accurate and economical.

Start with water changes. Temperature match water and treat it with Prime. Any toxins will be diluted, and it should help the fish recover.

You want ammonia and nitrites to be zero.

How are the sharks doing? We had a redtail shark in our 29 gallon until it took a bite out of one of its tankmates (who survived, thankfully). They really don't belong in such a small tank. Like really really

My nitrate is at 80 nitrite is .5 hardness is between 75-150 alkalinity is 120-180 and the ph is 8.4. I have the prime and I also have the stability that I've added. I've bought correct ph tabs and put those in and I also was suggested to get aquarium salt to add. I'm using the same filter same air pump and all the same stuff they had except for the live plants I've added and a different tank. When I got the tank there was prolly around 100 guppys there was a ton. I did a water change last week and that's when the most amount of fish died. Lately it's one or two a day but when they die I take them out right away. Now I am down to about maybe 20 in the tank that's why I'm starting to think that this started because of the slightly smaller tank. And the sharks are doing good I haven't had a problem with them.

I have never heard of testing the water for electrolytes?
as for old water versus new I don't see how the water change would be killing them off drastically unless you have a new filter. if you are using the same old substrate, and filter then you should have a good colony of bacteria.
your tank for some reason may have started a new cycle. and is now trying to catch up with all the guppies bioload.
I would get some bacteria booster to supplement your water. I use the product stability and add it whenever i add new fish but it has explicit instructions on starting a new tank.

are you using water conditioner?

I have the stability that I've been using and I also purchased start zyme and start right to put in there. I was gonna get the ph down stuff they have but they were all out and I had to get the tablets instead. The pet store is confused as to why my water is still testing this way and the guppys are dieing. Like I' said I've had my cichlid tank going for 4 years and their water test the same way but they're not dying

There are just too many guppies. 20 guppies in a 20 gallon should be okay. Keep up water changes until nitrites are 0. pH buffers can do more harm than good. Guppies love salt and actually do very well in brackish water, but until you get a hydrometer don't go crazy with it.

Back
Top Bottom