Help with filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dlee13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need some advice with what to do about my filter media. I am currently doing a fishless cycle for a 20g long tank and since this is very first tank I'm my sure what filter media to use. Currently my filter has Bio balls, then the next two sections have foam with carbon at the center and the final section has ceramic rings.

I know the negatives of having carbon in the filter so I'm gonna take it out and put more foam in it's place. Now with the first and last sections, should I leave them as is or should I be putting something else in there?

Ok so I've actually now bought some sponge filter media which I'm gonna put in place of the carbon, so should I keep the Bio Balls and ceramic rings in place?

Okay that helps my current canister filter has ceramic rings in the bottom basket to spread the water flow then a course blue foam on top of that in the same basket to catch the large item that go into the filter then the middle basket is bio balls then the next one is full of bio balls then in the same basket on the top a extremely fine sponge to catch the little crap and keep the water crystal clear its basically filter floss then a kind of plastic mesh to stop the floss getting to the impeller hope this helps sorry it's a long post if you want to know anything else still just ask :)

Okay that helps my current canister filter has ceramic rings in the bottom basket to spread the water flow then a course blue foam on top of that in the same basket to catch the large item that go into the filter then the middle basket is bio balls then the next one is full of bio balls then in the same basket on the top a extremely fine sponge to catch the little crap and keep the water crystal clear its basically filter floss then a kind of plastic mesh to stop the floss getting to the impeller hope this helps sorry it's a long post if you want to know anything else still just ask :)

It's ok a long post is better anyways ^^ ok so you have somewhat the same filter media setup as mine! I have read different opinions but do you think that Carbon slows down a fishless cycle? I've seen some people say it does and some say it doesn't =\ I found my filter wasn't working that great but after I opened it up and replaced it with the sponges it has been working much better and my water has cleared up heaps so I'm wondering if the carbon had something to do with it!

Carbon just doesn't help anything, unless you have meds, odour or colour to remove from water. I don't think it slows down cycling, but more biomedia in place of carbon is much more useful in the long run. Carbon is also exhausted fairly quickly, to keep it active you have to replace it often, and that is very expensive.
I think it's best to use it only if needed and use biomedia instead the rest of the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom