Help with fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thisisalexcee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I'm going into my 2nd week of fishless cycle. Started with dosing clear ammonia to 4 ppm. Nitrites spiked pretty quick with about 10-20 ppm nitrates in the first week. Currently my ammonia level is near 0 with a nitrite spike and nitrates have lowered to lowest I've seen since the cycle began. I did a 50% water change today tested still a nitrite spike. Kinda spinning my wheels with this. Any help is greatly appreciated! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389317048.129238.jpg

Just a bit more info...my tank is a 55 gallon long. With pool filter sand and 120lbs of Texas holey rock limestone. Which might I add has kept my ph at a solid 8.0 through the entire cycle. The water has a slight green tint to it but I'm finding dosing with ammonia isn't increasing ammonia levels. But nitrites are spiked. Thanks all for the help

I'm not a fishless cycle expert but I would say just keep dosing ammonia to feed the bacteria and keep an eye out for nitrate. The nitrite will continue to grow then disappear almost over nite. I hear the main thing to fishless cycling is patience...and lots of it. Good luck. Cheers

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

2 weeks is nothing. I know that's not what you really want to hear, but I assure you the cycle is in full swing.
Now that you have nitrites, drop your dosing to 2ppm every other day.
Add a pinch of fish flake.
Check your pH every time you dose and if it gets under 7.0 add some baking soda.

Generally the nitrIte PEAK is around 21 days that is the peak not when it disappears. A cycle can take 4-8 weeks and anything in that range is acceptable.
You are right on track :)

I have a question for you threaten...I am using just fish food instead of ammonia. With this provide ammonia to start my cycle?

Yeah it's just harder to control how much you are dosing with that, and you have to wait for it to break down. But it's perfectly acceptable.

Oooops...I meant to say "I have a question for threnjen...." stupid auto correct. Lol

I am using API bottom feeder food. I tossed about 12 pellets in there. How long before I start to see ammonia build up?
eqajavud.jpg

Well this morning I tested again here are the results. The ph is a solid 8.0 which is great it has not gone up or down barely at all. Ammonia levels are at a zero with the nitrite spike nitrates are between 0 & 5 ppm. So I started with a dose of about 140 drops of ammonia to get the spike of NH3 and nitrites. Your saying now every 2 days drop about 60-70 drops of ammonia or however many it takes to see 2ppm?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389359049.020144.jpg

I'm not a fishless cycle expert but I would say just keep dosing ammonia to feed the bacteria and keep an eye out for nitrate. The nitrite will continue to grow then disappear almost over nite. I hear the main thing to fishless cycling is patience...and lots of it. Good luck. Cheers Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1
Good advice

I am using API bottom feeder food. I tossed about 12 pellets in there. How long before I start to see ammonia build up?

I don't know, I'm sorry :( I have access to pure ammonia so haven't needed to use fish food. I don't really know the rate of decomposition or production. Not so helpful, I know

Well this morning I tested again here are the results. The ph is a solid 8.0 which is great it has not gone up or down barely at all. Ammonia levels are at a zero with the nitrite spike nitrates are between 0 & 5 ppm. So I started with a dose of about 140 drops of ammonia to get the spike of NH3 and nitrites. Your saying now every 2 days drop about 60-70 drops of ammonia or however many it takes to see 2ppm?View attachment 215981
Yep. Looking good.
Just keep an eye on your pH every few days, you want to watch to make sure it doesn't crash.

Back
Top Bottom