Help with fry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woods23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first ever aquarium guys!

Started a a "fish in cycle" on saturday ( i know most of you wont agree with a fish in cycle but thats what iv got) in my 65 liter tank which is around 17-18 gallons i think?

I bought 3 Mollys and a Siamese Fighter. One of the mollies must have been pregnant when i bought it because i have found a few fry in the tank. Saw the first one on saturday which got eaten instantly and others must have been hiding in the plants and rocks. I have bought a divider net and TetraMinBaby food since and now have 4 fry in the net with the possibility of more assuming I see them before they are swallowed up.

Needing advice on keeping the fry, feeding them and anything different i need to do during water changes for their benefit ?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that you don't need to do anything for the water changes that's different. For food there are a few different options. There are foods out there that are specially made for fry, you could boil an egg and put a little of the egg yolk in there, or crush your flakes really small so that they can eat them. Make sure that you feed them multiple times a day so they don't die. Keep them either in that net, a breeder box thing, or in another smaller tank. Good luck and congrats! (y)

From leaving for work and returning home for myself is 12 hours. Is this too long for them to go without a feed and if so is there anyway around this
? You mentioned boiled egg yolk ? could i place this in the tank before leaving in the morning ?

Thanks for the Feedback :D (y)

No problem. I think that they can survive that long, just don't put the heat up too high. The egg yolk is just egg yolk crushed up into a paste with a little added water. Just put some into the water and they'll eat it all up! Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone who is reading this.

what i feed my fry are finely crushed fish flakes, they eat that, and grow just as good, never tried egg yokes but maybe that could work too. and yes, your fry should be fine in the 12 hours your gone.

Fry will also nibble on algae and micro-organisms in the tank, although since your tank is so new, there probably isn't any of that to go around.

I kept my molly fry in the main tank with the other species and they knew enough to hide from the other fish. I don't get involved with the whole breeder net thing. Too much of a headache for me. I just let nature take its course.

Thanks for the help, ill repost on this in a few weeks let you know how things go :D here they are as of now though.....

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110809_230109.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_230109.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom