Help with hardy plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldielocks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to try to build a 20g+ planted tank for my Common Goldfish. I wanted to know what would be the best hardy plants and what other fish could I have in the tank with my goldfish? Thanks in advance!

I bought 2 Shubukin goldfish today.

I also think I'm going to buy a Black Moor. So that would be a Common, 2 Shubunkin's and a black moor in a 60g tank would that work. I still don't have a clue to which plants would work best. I already have a Amazon Sword that recently sprouted 3 plantlets. Seriously any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My fantails (2 Moors, 1 Panda) pretty much go after every plant I put in their tank except the onion. The ones they don't want to eat, they just pull up fr the fun of it :ermm:

Goldies love to munch on Anacharis, so I'll plant that in front of and thru others I try to save from them and since it's so cheap and grows fast, I'm happy to let them at it lol.

One thing to think about with the Moor, is that on a good day they're blind compared to other fish with regular eyes and the Moor may (will IMO/E) have a hard time getting to the food before it's gone.

Elodea and valisneria are probably good too. Hardy, dont need high lighting, my goldie nips on the elodea, but pretty much leaves the valisneria alone.

Thank y'all so much!

Yeah, my biggest Goldie digs my baby sword up everyday but he leaves the Mother plant alone. I haven't seen them munch on any of them yet.

My tank is really milky today. I only put the 2 new fish and some river rocks (that I bought, and boiled) in yesterday. Does anyone know what it could be? should I do a pwc?

Your tank is 20 gal? Can you give us your current stocking list and description of your filter. :)

Yes it's a 20 gallon. I have an adult Common Goldfish and 2 baby Shubunkins. My filter is a Whisper in tank Filter. It uses those filter cartridges and I changed it last week.

So I took the rocks out about 3 hours ago and it's actually even more cloudy :( so I'm going to go ahead and do a pwc.

Hello and welcome to AA :)

I'm no goldie expert, but I can tell you common goldfish are actually pond fish and if they are going to be kept in an aquarium a pair would need atleast 120 gallons (probably more) with something like quadruple filtration.

If you continue to keep your fish in that tank they will go through a painful process known as stunting. This is often referred to as "growing to the size of the tank". It causes internal damage and premature death. :( If your fish are still very small, I'm sure the situation looks fine but it's going to spiral out of control quickly. Common goldfish have no place in a 20 gallon tank. Furthermore, fancy goldfish don't even belong in a 20 gal tank and their requirements are much much smaller than common's. My recommendation would be to bring them into your local lfs that sells pond fish, if you don't know someone that has a pond yourself, or have the ability to set up a proper tank for them.

Hello and welcome to AA :)

I'm no goldie expert, but I can tell you common goldfish are actually pond fish and if they are going to be kept in an aquarium a pair would need atleast 120 gallons (probably more) with something like quadruple filtration.

If you continue to keep your fish in that tank they will go through a painful process known as stunting. This is often referred to as "growing to the size of the tank". It causes internal damage and premature death. :( If your fish are still very small, I'm sure the situation looks fine but it's going to spiral out of control quickly. Common goldfish have no place in a 20 gallon tank. Furthermore, fancy goldfish don't even belong in a 20 gal tank and their requirements are much much smaller than common's. My recommendation would be to bring them into your local lfs that sells pond fish, if you don't know someone that has a pond yourself, or have the ability to set up a proper tank for them.

Thank you and Thank you for your advice!
I guess I should have mentioned that he was kept in a pond for the past year until the tornado outbreak we had in April that severely damaged our pond (and killed two of our oldest Goldies) I had kept him and his buddies for 10 years in the 20g (out of ignorance) until the pond was built. I gave away my new guppies I had in my 20g just so I could have something to keep them in and Ive been gifted a 60g that will be setup within the next few weeks (I'm moving to a new place.) as their temporary home until our pond is quickly built. But, don't worry he's been happy and Healthy since being in the tank (maybe just a little lonely since his buddy died) but I'm doing the best i can to keep him alive till his permanent home is finished. Your concern is appreciated though! Keep up the good work!

Everything has cleared up since the PWC. I boiled the rocks again and I changed the filter just to be safe!

Siva beat me to it, but that why I asked you tank size. Have you bought a filter yet for the 69 gal? If you havent that shoukd be your priority for two main reasons. First, so you have the extra filtration in the 20 gal and second so that it is seeded when you setup the 60 gal and it will considerably shorten you cycle.

andresdeo said:
Siva beat me to it, but that why I asked you tank size. Have you bought a filter yet for the 69 gal? If you havent that shoukd be your priority for two main reasons. First, so you have the extra filtration in the 20 gal and second so that it is seeded when you setup the 60 gal and it will considerably shorten you cycle.

Oh wow didn't think about that! The 60g came with everything. Should I take the whisper filter out entirely or use both filters?

Run both if you can, that way the benefitial bacteria will stablish in the new filter, usually takes 7-10 days. What kind of filter is the new one?

it might be an algae bloom, just leave the rocks in and dont stress too much, itll go on its own :).
I love goldfish by the way!

andresdeo said:
Run both if you can, that way the benefitial bacteria will stablish in the new filter, usually takes 7-10 days. What kind of filter is the new one?

It's an Aqua Tech premium filter the kind that hangs off the back. Is that a good brand or should invest in a better one?

Henri said:
it might be an algae bloom, just leave the rocks in and dont stress too much, itll go on its own :).
I love goldfish by the way!

That reminds me Should I get something for Algae? My plants had some red algae (or what looked like red algae) growing on them a few weeks ago and i scrubbed it off but theres a tiny bit on the back glass.

It's looking a lot better but it's still a little murky.

:) I love them too! I want a black moor but I guess I'll have to wait till my pond is built.

Back
Top Bottom