Help with high ph...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phishman1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My fault here of course. 120 Gallon aquarium. 13 larger angels and 3 regular size Frontosa, all get along fine. Could not figure out why PH was so high and spaced out checking what it was from the tap during water changes. Used to be 7.8. NO MORE> now 9.7 from the tap so there is the culprit. Bought a neutral down PH to reduce it by so far hasn't dropped by much. I'm probably impatient though.
Last night 7 PM 4 teaspoons, dropped nothing in two hours. 9 PM another 5 teaspoons. By 11 PM only down to 8.8. Woke up 7 AM, tested, still 8.8. This time at 7 6 teaspoons, its 9 30 now and still same but of course I'll check it at 11 to see for sure what's happened. Only thing I've done to tank is add copper for a potential velvet situation because 3 fish I bought died in two days. None of the remaining show anything. I want to reduce to 7.8 because all angels were tank raised and can tolerate and the Fronts as well as that is what they were in prior. Any thoughts ladies and gents on how to get this down other than what I"m doing? How often to add the PH down, when to check etc? Thank you

The problem with pH down is you have to dose the exact amount correctly everytime or you get pH swings which can kill your fish.

Another way to lower it is mix distilled or RO water at say 25% of your tank water. What sucks for you is your tank is fairly big so you'll be adding quite a bit of distilled/RO water in your water changes.

Some people add Indian Almond Leaves to thier tank to lower pH or certain woods. You'd probably have to buy several of these items to get the pH to lower in your size tank and you'll get a slightly brown tint to your water from the tannins.

I think if you could get your pH down to 8.6 you'd be ok. You probably would be ok at 8.8 or anything under 9. I got an Angel fish in my tap water with a pH 8.4 at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom