Help with ich? PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adangelo100

Aquarium Advice Regular
My best friend has a 2.5 gallon tank with a couple on neon tetras and a silver dollar (the tetras are being moved once we have the money to get a bigger one)...the 2.5g Is still cycling (3 1/2 wks in)... And outbreak of ich is currently plaguing her tank... My question is what can She do or better is what we ARE doing the right thing? It's been three days I've been helping her do 10% water changes and we slowly upped the temp to 86 degrees as well as added 1/4 tsp of pure salt (not table salt)... Ammonia is 0.25 nitrites are 5.0 (was down to 1.5/2 but skyrocketed as the amm levels went down) and nitrates have been steady at 5.0 for a week.. I know there are medications available and my dad gave me aquari-sol... But 1. We'd have to take out the filter and I really don't want to do that and 2. We REALLY don't want any chemicals in the tank.... Any advice? We are both VERY new to this so any kind words of advice please please please help?

And sorry for the messed up grammar in the middle of that I didn't proofread bc I'm on my iPhone >.<

raising the temp and adding the salt will take away the stress of it feeding it good will help keep the ammunsystem up but really the silver dollar i think is def going to need to be re homed and the same with neons that tank only really suitable for nano's or shrimp

Yea I agree with the need to move them... We didn't know anything about fish and tank size until AFTER we spent 150$ on everything (needless to say we are NEVER trusting petland again bunch of idiots) so we're trying to save our money... I'm just hoping these poor little guys make it until then... I've become quite attached and do has she...

well raising the temp slowly to 86 good (but only for a week) , salt good as long as no scaleless fish but dont add any more till full water change ( as once the salt disloves if you add it will just keep uping salinity), and just plenty of good clean water conditioner and make sure they eat good every day but dont over feed

Well the tank was 50, the API test kit was 30, plus decorations, food, water conditioner, filter, gravel vacuum, thermometer/heater, bubble tube and air generation thing, the fish were probably the cheapest thing we bought lol.... ThaNks for the advice though! I feel a little better knowing that I am along the right path

Aqueon 2.5 bow front kit... It came fully equipped with the filter but the guy told us we need extra cartridges for down the line :/

that a nice aquarium you got there i thought maybe since you listed everything youhad bought just the glass shell 50 would have been really un reasonable on just a glass shell well any way back on subject how long have you been heat treating your fishes

Lol I love the tank I'm just upset that I spent that much... I'm going to buy a 20g but still keep the 2.5 so it doesn't go to waste... But yes ive been treating the ich since Friday evening so 3 days total... My dad insists We take the filter out and use aquari-sol but I've heard of ich being treated with heat and salt and I much prefer that than chemicals... We realllly don't want to stress them out even more

And my friend who is technically part owner is so clueless (more than me) on all this tank stuff was ready to just stick them in a bowl before we got the tank but I convinced her they need to have a nice tank :/

well thats good i just still a little confuse if you got a petsmart around you i would go look for somereason they getting rid of the marinland kits i picked up a 29 gallon kit (hood, heater , led light with moon light setting, filter (penguin 200 biowheel)) for 74 dollars

well hopefully you get interested in the hobby i love it ... and as far as not putting chemicals that good but if it does not start clearing up go stop by your walmart and there is a brand aquarium products and its called quick cure you put 2 drops in a day for three days ( for your tank) and it clears it up ( recently used this in my 55g with 2 oscars)

Theres one near me but I take public transportation everywhere (NYC) so I'd have to plan accordingly and take a 30$ cab or find someone with a car.... But that sounds fantastic! I'm def going to look into that! Thanks :)

Lol I do love it here but escapes to nice quiet towns are much needed A LOT :)

Back
Top Bottom