Help with my brain!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this brain about 3 weeks ago. It has gone from plump and happy to showing some skeleton. I don't dose anything. Should I? My parameters are 0,0,5. I have 0 phosphates and ph is 8.1. I use reef crystals salt and do about 15% pwc's every two weeks. I also have a gfo/carbon reactor. My lights are t5ho 8 bulb unit on a 75 reef. I use an ATO also to keep the salinity at a constant 1.025. Do I need to do something special to keep this alive? Will it come back from the way it is now? I would hate to lose this after waiting to get one for so long. Here are before and after pics:

Before

img_2085406_0_2eb9b4422de577d467f494a3065b9997.jpg

Today

img_2085406_1_c423a52175025ce36a8ae2f0d351d086.jpg

HELP PLEASE!

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas? I am beside myself with worry. I have been doing so good lately and this is a real blow. Please help!

I spot feed it mysis when I feed the rest of the fish. Every other day. I have only fed it during the day though. Not at night.

It should be doing fine then. Is your water hardness or calcium off? That's the only other thing I could think of unless there are parasites or pests in the water.

I unfortunately dont have a calcium tester. I will be ordering one. But I have a chalice, acros, hammers, leathers, pocillopora.....etc that are all doing great. I just dont understand it.

Do you have a good enough power head? I don't know much about this type of coral but most need a good power head.

Video of the tank and flow.

Here is a video of the tank. I have 2 koralia 1400's, 1 koralia 1050, and 1 koralia 750 and a mag 9.5 return pump from the 40 gallon sump/refugium. As you can see, the rest of the tank is looking great.

M4H04272 - YouTube

It may be getting to much light. I don't keep these specific brains but I've noticed my favias favites and platygyras all like to have a little shade and I'm running 6 t5s on my 46

I'd say it's dead or dying with that much tissue ression it not likely to come back they do not like lots of flow either they are a moderate to low flow and not to intense of light it say just wait it out and see what happens

Madreefer420 said:
I'd say it's dead or dying with that much tissue ression it not likely to come back they do not like lots of flow either they are a moderate to low flow and not to intense of light it say just wait it out and see what happens

As long as there is tissue there is hope corals are very hardy actually

Thanks guys! I will try to make sure it doesnt have a ton of flow and try to find it some shade.

Feeding it after lights out should help. It's not dead as stated earlier, it's just not happy. I've noticed Tracyphyllia brains are a bit more finicky than most LPS. I've noticed mine deflate like that unless I kept up with regular feedings. HTH

I think the fight is over for my brain. Today twice as muck skeleton is showing. Last night it didn't have feeders out either. I put mysis right in the mouth and get no reaction. Pardon the pun, but I think I'm brain dead. Very upset.

image-4294764307.jpg

Back
Top Bottom