help with my new reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gthirty7s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys how are you.
Im new to this aquarium world and im very anxious to set up my aquarium
i just bought a nuvo nano 16 Gallon aquarium

this is what i have so far
Nature's Ocean Bio-Active Reef Sand and Reef Substrate
Reef Crystals 50 gallon mix
Instant Ocean Hydrometer

what kind of heater do you guys recommend?
im looking to order this one. 50watt or 100watt?

Aquarium Heaters & Temperature Control: Hagen Fluval M Heater

and im thinking about this skimmer
but im not sure if its going to fit in the back of the tank.

Aquarium Protein Skimmer: Hydor Slim Skim Protein Skimmer

im really not sure what else i need and i really dont wanna mess this up
i would really appreciate if you guys could put me on the right direction

Look like you are headed in the right direction. What is your plan for this tank?

Look like you are headed in the right direction. What is your plan for this tank?

Planing on putting corals live rock and a few clown fish

Should I go with a 50watt Heater or 100 watt?

How cold does it get at your house? The size of the heater will be determined by how many degrees the heater has to heat the water to get it to the set temp. I have a 50w in my 29g cube, but I live in florida soit never has to work really hard. :)

Also, Nuvo has its own skimmer too that is about $100, my friend has the exact same setup and uses theirs, it fits perfect in the back left compartment.

But, if you do your regular water changes you dont really need a skimmer to be honest. It's just optional. :)

I;ve done it both ways. If you add the water first you will get a sandstorm lasting a few days from the sand. If you put the sand in first, you can place a dinner plate in the tank and pour the water in on that and it will reduce the sandstorm. :)

I;ve done it both ways. If you add the water first you will get a sandstorm lasting a few days from the sand. If you put the sand in first, you can place a dinner plate in the tank and pour the water in on that and it will reduce the sandstorm. :)

A friend of mind told me that if I put
The live sand first it will kill all the bacteria
From the live sand.

One question do I mix the water with salt
before I put it in the tank?
Or I can put the water in the tank first then add the salt?

I would premix it
2 cups salt to every 5 gal
I always premix in to 5 gal buckets pouring water back and forth in buckets till salts mixed
than I circulate but since your just starting put it in tank and you can circulate it in there
I wouldn't trust the instant ocean hydrometer there not really accurate
I would recommend a refract o meter there more reliable

I wouldn't trust the instant ocean hydrometer there not really accurate

hydrometers are accurate enough for use in the majority of cases in our hobby. i like that the majority of refractometers auto compensate for temp. to the OP, id mix the salt with fresh water BEFORE adding it to the tank. . . dont think its a great idea to drown sw sand in freshwater...unless you are purposefully trying to kill the bacteria off.

If I put 4 next to each other with the same water each will have a different reading
in-till I got my refract o meter I thought my water was at 1.024/1.025 when actually it was above 1.030

thats one personal experience youve had with them and i highly doubt that putting 4 side by side will yield 4 different readings. ill agree that $35 for a refractometer gives you peace of mind, but to state they are overly inaccurate is false

so the fluval m heater is good?
or i can get something better?

Back
Top Bottom