Help with my thread fin.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajwetton

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fish has started missing some fin and the3 coloration looks weord compared to the other. Wanting some unput as to what could be causing this. Thanks in advance!

Tank specs:
55g 2 fluval c4 filters
20 are my levels. Here is a pic of the fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1406351357427.jpg
    1406351357427.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 66
Hmm.. Is he being nipped? That could be the cause it but it could also be fin rot. Looks quite a lot like fin rot.

If he isnt being nipped he probably has fin rot. Dose some stress coat in the QT along with MelaFix, let him stay there till it clears up (maybe a week or two) and you should be good. :)

Hope I helped, - Raymond

Is fin rot contagious? And I dont have a qt tank. Would it be finrot if no one else in the tank is showing symptoms of anything

Fin Rot CAN be contagious depending on the cause. I would just medicate the whole tank just to be safe if you are unsure.

Hope this resolves soon! - Raymond

Is that a heckelii or a ram Looks like a heckelii but looks beat up to me. what else is in the tank?

It is a hecklii theres another one of those and 2 gold convicts, 1 honduran red point and some buenos ares tetras.

It is a hecklii theres another one of those and 2 gold convicts, 1 honduran red point and some buenos ares tetras.

Are the convicts a pair? Also, the red point could be beating it up. I had one once and to give it away because he was terrorizing others.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just seems strange thst my 2 inch fish is beating him up. Convicts aren't a pair I know how violent they can get during breeding so I was keeping an eye out. There were hondurans but one went MIA a month or so ago. No one else shows any signs of stuff like this guy's fin.

My hrp wasn't large and he would beat up the larger ones.The nice flowing fins of a threadfin are very tempting. CA's tend to be a bit more aggressive.

Thinking it might be fin rot. Im not positive but it looks lke my tetras in here have alittle white showing on their dorsal fin tip that I dont think was there

Ahhh k lol its early I didn't put comprehend the abbreviation.

It very well could be the other heckelli doing it.

As for a "2" fish doing that", my 1" neolamprologus Multifasciatus will take on fish 4-5x there size and win generally. They even got my old leleupi female to back down most of the time, and leleupi are pretty insane lol

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I honestly think it might be one of the convicts he seems bossy. But I wasnt sure just seemed to come out of no where that he looked like this.

So should I try to treat for finrot? Or do we think its nipping

Hmm... Keep and eye on him and use API StressCoat when you are doing your water changes.

If the other fish aren't bullying him then it is probably fin rot and you should treat with MelaFix

Add some Melafix for a week. Will clear everything right up, and helps the fins grow back.

Back
Top Bottom