Help with Neon Tetra Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

citroen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is what I have done but need advise.
I have a second 60ltr tank and have 6 neons, in there, the tank is well planted.
This evening I can see what looks like very small eggs stuck to the front glass, a quick count is over 30.
The problem is I am running a small bio filter with a black sponge in side.
I have removed the 6 fish, turned of filter.
I have no air pump.
HELP please.

I would suggest you turn the filter back on and get an air pump and a sponge filter tomorrow to use for the fry instead. No danger of the fry getting sucked into the filter that way. Keep the tank dark as the eggs are sensitive to light. You'll have about 5 days until the fry are hatched and free swimming so you will need to start preparing food for the fry. Because the fry will be very small, usually you would use infusoria or if you can get them, some other form of micro foods. If you have a plant like java moss or some other frilly type of plant, I'd put that into the tank as the plants will often have infusoria growing on them anyway so a good food source for the fry.
If you get past this stage, you are almost home free. ;) (y)
Once the fry are big enough, you will need to start feeding them foods like newly hatched brine shrimp. Live shrimp will help the fry grow faster but frozen will also work once the fry are used to eating dead foods.
After that, it's just growing them up. (y)

Hope this helps. :)

I have got the pump/filter as suggested Andy, will a lettuce leave be any good.
I've found that lettuce from farm stands and places that sell organic unpackaged lettuce will be better than those purchased at grocery stores. Those tend to be more "sanitized" and microbe free whereas those from farm stands, unwashed and straight from the ground will have more "bugs" on them to start. For a long term basis, you can use lettuce to start an infusoria culture but I wouldn't depend on it as a constant food source ( the same for plants too.) There are many articles here and online about starting an infusoria culture. The green water will house more food than a single plant might. The use of live plants is just to get them started in case the fry are ready before you are. ;)

Back
Top Bottom