Help with new inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rshock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just received a shipment of 5 blue velvet shrimp for a freshwater tank. The shrimp are in good condition but extremely small and I am afraid my fish might eat the shrimplets at this size. What should i do? Get them acclimated and give it a shot or try and raise them in a separate container until they are large enough to put in the tank?

Agreed. If you have a spare tank, there's no reason to risk the shrimp at the current state they are at.

I have 7 Galaxy Rasbora. Based on previous advice and my own research they are likely to eat these guys if I put them in now.

I can get my hands on a spare tank but should I just use tank water and change it out each day? How long will it take to get these guys big enough to avoid being eaten?

Well I lost one shrimp yesterday, got a separate tank and have been changing the water daily. They are still not looking too good. Any additional suggestions?

CPDs will eat shrimpletts that are just released but after a molt or two there shouldn't be an issue if there are plenty of hiding places and you keep them well fed. I have some in with my Taiwan red cherries and I still see healthy population increase. If you want higher shrimp survival rate then don't put them in with anything that will eat them and stick to a shrimp only set up.

If you're dead set on keeping the shrimp in a separate tank to grow out then add a heater, sponge filter, a big handful of java moss, and conditioned tap water . Change out 10-20% of the water weekly and feed them high quality food every other day. I've noticed my Blue velvets grow a little slower than the cherries but should be big enough not to get picked off in a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom