Help With Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guinness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
HI, can anyone help me?

I have a 300ltr discus tank, I have 4 4" discus and 4 2" discus. I am running 2 external filters that filter 1400ltrs of water per hour plus an internal not sure what that one pumps tho. I test my water every week as well as change 100 ltrs of water per week 50ltrs every 3 days.

My test kit is API the results are as follows

PH 6.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80ppm

I have had these readings for a few weeks now. Even after a water change the readings are the same 80ppm nitrate.
How can this be? Surely after a water change the results should be different.

I always vacuum the sand which is only a thin layer and I have 6 live plants in the tank. I can't understand what is going on. I also gently rinse the filter media in tank water every month on a rotation system, so only one filter at a time.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing my problem?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

HI, can anyone help me?

I have a 300ltr discus tank, I have 4 4" discus and 4 2" discus. I am running 2 external filters that filter 1400ltrs of water per hour plus an internal not sure what that one pumps tho. I test my water every week as well as change 100 ltrs of water per week 50ltrs every 3 days.

PH 6.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80ppm

I have had these readings for a few weeks now. Even after a water change the readings are the same 80ppm nitrate.

I always vacuum the sand which is only a thin layer and I have 6 live plants in the tank. I can't understand what is going on. I also gently rinse the filter media in tank water every month on a rotation system, so only one filter at a time.

Thanks.
How old is that test kit? Do you shake the nitrate bottle #2 REALLY REALLY well before you use it?

Guinness said:
HI, can anyone help me?

PH 6.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80ppm

Thanks.

Have you tested you tap water for nitrates?

phoenixkiller said:
How old is that test kit? Do you shake the nitrate bottle #2 REALLY REALLY well before you use it?

Hi, the test kit is brand new. Yes I shake bottle 2 for about 1-2 minutes give it a little tap on the table. After everything I have read about API I have tried everything. I even contacted API and they sent me a new nitrate test kit. That gives the same results. I'm so confused lol.

Guinness said:
I only use RO water and I have tested it before I use it and it comes back with 0 nitrates.

I stopped using RO water because I had ph fluctuations from the lack if a buffer. I wonder if RO water, which has a pretty high acidic ph, has something to do with slowing down the beneficial bacteria and creating a problem with your nitrates?!? Someone will chime in. I'm probably way off here.

Readingexcalibur said:
I stopped using RO water because I had ph fluctuations from the lack if a buffer. I wonder if RO water, which has a pretty high acidic ph, has something to do with slowing down the beneficial bacteria and creating a problem with your nitrates?!? Someone will chime in. I'm probably way off here.

I thought nitrate was caused by fish poo or rotting plants and debris. I always take my plants out to take of any dead leaves. I have enough filtration on the tank. I'm stumped lol. All fish are fine and healthy.

Guinness said:
I thought nitrate was caused by fish poo or rotting plants and debris. I always take my plants out to take of any dead leaves. I have enough filtration on the tank. I'm stumped lol. All fish are fine and healthy.

Nitrate isn't created by RO water, however I was suggesting that maybe the acidity of RO water may be affecting the water parameters and buffers. It was an idea, not factual. You should google the aquarium cycle. There is a chart, I would for you however I am on my cell at the moment.

You are saying that each filter goes three months between cleaning? Then there is likely a bunch of gunk building up in the filters. Clean one canister every two weeks and clean the internal every week. Also, how often do you run a pipe cleaner through the filter tubing? A ton of crud gets built up there also.

Readingexcalibur said:
Nitrate isn't created by RO water, however I was suggesting that maybe the acidity of RO water may be affecting the water parameters and buffers. It was an idea, not factual. You should google the aquarium cycle. There is a chart, I would for you however I am on my cell at the moment.

Ah ok I see what you mean now sorry. I will have a look in the morning as its now 12.00am in the uk lol. See what I can find. I did have a look before I posted on here but couldn't really get any answers.

blert said:
You are saying that each filter goes three months between cleaning? Then there is likely a bunch of gunk building up in the filters. Clean one canister every two weeks and clean the internal every week. Also, how often do you run a pipe cleaner through the filter tubing? A ton of crud gets built up there also.

I was told not to clean the filter every month as it was to much to often. The pipes from the filter are 3 meters long I can't get the pipe cleaner all the way through, I can only clean the top and bottom 12". Is there anyway of getting the pipe cleaner all the way through the pipe? Or shall I buy more pipe and replace it. Although that would be expensive in the long run.

Guinness said:
I was told not to clean the filter every month as it was to much to often. The pipes from the filter are 3 meters long I can't get the pipe cleaner all the way through, I can only clean the top and bottom 12". Is there anyway of getting the pipe cleaner all the way through the pipe? Or shall I buy more pipe and replace it. Although that would be expensive in the long run.

Three meters long? Wow, that is a lot of tubing. All that crud building up on the tubing walls will be contributing to the nitrate buildup.

IMO... Three months is way to long between filter cleanings. Canisters build up a lot of crud and all that stuff is also going to contribute to a nitrate build up. Canisters should be cleaned out once a month. For HOB/internal, rinse out the media once a week and clean them up once a month. Just don't let the media dry out during cleaning and everything will be fine.

Three meters long? Wow, that is a lot of tubing. All that crud building up on the tubing walls will be contributing to the nitrate buildup.

IMO... Three months is way to long between filter cleanings. Canisters build up a lot of crud and all that stuff is also going to contribute to a nitrate build up. Canisters should be cleaned out once a month. For HOB/internal, rinse out the media once a week and clean them up once a month. Just don't let the media dry out during cleaning and everything will be fine.

+1, I thought all canister and HOT media was supposed to clean once a month too

Thanks for that guys I will now change my cleaning system and clean the filters once a month. The pipes are long as the tank i have is very tall.

I will clean the pipes out and hopefully the nitrate will drop.

Thanks again guys really appreciated.

If you have to use tubing at three meters long I suggest that you cut them into manageable lengths and use couplers to join them. Then you can use your pipe cleaner on them thoroughly. If you are worried about too many joints as points of failure then you could get a very long wooden dowel and push cotton balls through.

blert said:
If you have to use tubing at three meters long I suggest that you cut them into manageable lengths and use couplers to join them. Then you can use your pipe cleaner on them thoroughly. If you are worried about too many joints as points of failure then you could get a very long wooden dowel and push cotton balls through.

Yea I was a bit worried about having joints in the pipe work. That's a good idea about the dowel thing. I think I will try that. Thanks for the tips and advice. Much appreciated.

phoenixkiller said:
Have you cleaned it yet? Are your nitrates down?

No i haven't cleaned the pipes yet. I need to get some pipe cleaners and some string, I'm going to tie the string to the end of the pipe cleaner and pull it through the pipe. I'm working all day tomorrow so will have to do it on Monday morning. I will let you know the results as soon as I do it.

No i haven't cleaned the pipes yet. I need to get some pipe cleaners and some string, I'm going to tie the string to the end of the pipe cleaner and pull it through the pipe. I'm working all day tomorrow so will have to do it on Monday morning. I will let you know the results as soon as I do it.
Sounds good. Good luck with your tank!

Guinness said:

Interesting, don't forget some kind of weight to tie to the end of the string so you can just drop it through. A small fishing weight or something.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom