Help with...Parents?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wild

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well here we go, hope i don't sound too much like an "i hate my parents" kinda kid..

I got a fish tank for Christmas, it's supost to be my tank as i am paying for everything and taking care of everything.
But my parents always want to throw in their 2 cents every day when i do something they consider 'wrong'. I have nothing against them helping if the advice they gave wasn't completely wrong.

I am doing around 75% water changes every other day due to doing a fish in cycling. My parents feel that i should be doing a 10% change once a month.

Everytime we go to the fish store to see whats there, my parents want to come with a bag full of fish. My dad keeps trying to guilt me into buying a common pleco. When i told him it's get around a foot long, he said they just "grow to the size of the tank"

Just today when we went he bought me a pack full of new filter pads saying i'll need them soon since you change them once a month.

I really really want to do this fish tank thing the right way. But i can only take so much of this 'helpful' advice from my family.

Soo..
Does anyone know any good books on fish keeping, or online articles i could get them to read? I really want them to realize that the old way of keeping fish, isn't the best way.

I would make a chart for them portraying the nitrogen cycle, and the various diseases caused by ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Then remind them that you are the one paying for it, not them.
I don't understand why your parents won't listen to you, they probably think they know because they have had more "experience" with fish, seeing as they are older. They are spending more money without your advise!

If they still won't understand, there is nothing you can do. It is afterall their house. :/

Make em log on here. Tell em if they want to buy stuff for the tank to kindly refer to your wish list (make a list. Lol) or just give you the money. State that you are taking on your own responsibility and that you would like to do it on your own to prove to them that you are fully capable. Or- buy them a tank and say "mine" and then point them to theirs. Lol

Make em log on here. Tell em if they want to buy stuff for the tank to kindly refer to your wish list (make a list. Lol) or just give you the money. State that you are taking on your own responsibility and that you would like to do it on your own to prove to them that you are fully capable. Or- buy them a tank and say "mine" and then point them to theirs. Lol

Send them our way. :cool: Everyone here will set them straight

+2 to that get them on here and show them what others have told you

Get them to come here and read. :) If you want, you can show them the link in my signature: Guide to starting a freshwater aquarium. It explains the basics and things like cycling. Good luck. You sound like you're well informed and are doing everything right!

I know the issue. My grandfather has had a tank for twenty years... Goes though cycles of buying and watching fish die. He follows old school rules and won't hear anything of the new school. He keeps having issues... I have even went and done water changes w out his knowing. Lol. It's something u unfortunately have to deal w slow and cool. And know they may Nvr agree. Just do what u kno is best and don't get urself In trouble in the mean time.

Well my dad is quite similar to yours. He kept insisting that I get larger fish since most of mine only grows to be 4-5 inches.

Without asking, he went to a store and got me a pair of angelfish. Disregarding what I said about my aggressive kribensis and their infamous nipping, he added the angelfish in there. As soon as my kribensis spotted the Angelfish and their long fins (which took less than a minute), aggression occurred and my dad witnessed his recent bought angels were running away and hiding.

That is how my dad learned his lesson about not buying me anything for my fish tank, except a wooden fish tank stand he will help me buy next week since he knows someone in the furniture industry.

As for the Angelfish, I quickly placed them in my hospital tank after my dad learned that not ever fish are compatible.

That's too bad. Seems like the best answer here is for the parents to get their own tank- they seem pretty interested in the hobby!

I really hope you can turn it into a positive connection with your folks instead of a source of friction. That said, some parents just have to put their two cents in for everything. ;)

Okay thanks everyone! I'll have to see if i can get them to come on here, that'll set them straight in no time :lol:

I'll show them the links you guys posted, hopefully that'll be enough to get them to at least respect that i'm doing it my way, not theirs. Crossing my fingers!

Back
Top Bottom