Help with PH and ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimler

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Set up a new 29 gal tank a few weeks ago. Have one 4" Geophasus, 5 Harlequins and 2 small catfish (type unknown) and running a Fluval 205. PH of water out of faucet is 7.6 to 8. PH in tank 7.6-7.8. Can't get the PH to lower. Tried a water softner bag but PH the same. Just put in Fluval peat granuels to see if that might help. Also getting ammonia readings from .25 to .50. Tried an ammonia bag for a week in my Fluval but can't get the ammonia to lower. Have done several water changes but still getting the same readings. My freshwater master test kit is probably 4+ yrs old. Could it be giving false readings or am I doing something wrong?

I would get a new test kit or have the LFS test your water. How long has the tank been set up? Stop messing with the PH it probably is causing more problems than it will help.

Is the tank likely to be fully cycled if it's only been running for a few weeks? My tank has been running for exactly 3 weeks today but I'm still getting somewhat erratic Ammonia readings similar to yours.

I'm not certain, but I think the pH can fluctuate while the tank is cycling as well so it would seem pointless specifically trying to lower it until the tank's cycled.

Have you tested for Nitries/ Nitrates at all?

Nitrites/nitrates are at zero. I'm new at this. I've had a small 10 gal tank for a couple of years but Never did water testing and had no problems with my fish. W/the new 29 gal, wanted to do it right. I rinsed bio/filter from 10 gal in 29 gal to help set up bio in new tank along with some decorations from the old tank. My husband calls me the mad scientist cause I'm constanly testing the water in new tank. Maybe you are right and the tank is still cycling. Perhaps I should take the peat out and wait a few more weeks.

Well you're certainly not alone in being new to it all - I'm just trying to learn as much as possible as I go by reading, talking to people and living on these forums!

I'm quite enjoying *trying* to do things properly though and testing the water from the tank every day to see how things have changed!

Someone who knows more than I do will probably give you a more reliable answer but 3-weeks seems quite quick to fully cycle a tank although the decorations from your 10G tank should have helped to speed things up.

If you're not sure about your water testing kit though then it may be a good idea to replace it as duff results could end up costing you dearly in terms of fish... :(

Get the new test kit. If you are showing no nitrate then you are not cycled. Anything over .5ppm for ammonia or nitrite is dangerous for your fish. I would do a water change to correct the problem and check levels every few days. If they go over .5 ppm then do another change. When ammonia and nitrites are both zero and the nitrates are climbing nicely you are done with the cycle and can switch to weekly changes.

Stop messing with your pH. It's fine for keeping the vast majority of fish, who prefer a stable pH over a 'correct' one anyway.

Your tank is NOT cycled- you do not have nitrates and your ammonia is not changing into nitrites.

Read up on cycling... there are articles on here about it. AFAIK just rinsing your used filter in there will not do anything- the bacteria do not live in the water. If you can add gravel, a decoration, or a used filter to the water and leave it there for a while, that will help establish your biofilter quite quickly. Cycling with fish takes longer than without, and with fish you will NOT want to be adding ammonia... test daily and do a 25-50% PWC whenever either ammonia or nitrates hit .5ppm. Live plants will help, so if you've been considering them, go for it.

I would get a new master test kit. If you're getting the same readings regardless of water changes it may have expired.

To help your cycle, you can also get Bio-Spira or the newest one out on the market, Nite-Out. This will add the bacteria you need that will change your ammonia to nitrite to nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom