Help with problem plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botanica

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! It's been a crazy couple of months in my house with all the holidays and I started school...so I haven't been able to be online much. We are, however, having a problem in our planted tanks. There seems to be a brown algae growth on the leaves of our plants. They aren't diatoms because both tanks have gotten over that and it doesn't just wipe off. Also...it's not growing on the glass or rocks...just the plants. There also seems to be something wrong with our sword plant (in the 135) like something is eating away new growth...but nothing is...we dont think. ;-). I'll attach photos below of afflicted plants both tanks...but here are the tanks stats:

135 gallon w/ 4x double bright Marineland LED 36" lights
Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-20, pH-7.4
Dosed 2x/week with Seachem Comprehensive and Iron
Dosed daily with Excel Temp-82
Substrate Black Sand w/root tabs

55 gallon w/ t5ho 4x48" light 6500k 216w
Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-5, pH-7.4
Dosed the same schedule as the other tank
Substrate Eco-complete w/sand cap and root tabs

We are putting together the co2 system for the 55g ASAP...prob in Feb. we really aren't very experienced in this at all, but we do love our fish and aquariums! :). Please help! Thanks!!!

Attachments

• image-2139263115.jpg
    image-2139263115.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 60
  • image-2454827324.jpg
    image-2454827324.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 45
  • image-1835865558.jpg
    image-1835865558.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 49
  • image-825099732.jpg
    image-825099732.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 46
I forgot to mention that we only run the lights nine hours per day at this point. They have been this way for 4+ weeks but the brown was there when they were on 12 hours per day...there was just a lot of green algae as well. I was hoping turning the lights down would take care of both issues...but it didn't...just the green algae. Thanks in advance for the help!
:)

I would turn them off during the middle of the day for a couple hour "siesta" and let it rest. Helped me but my algae was green. Still worth a try.

What is the macro and micro nutrient dosing? I am new to this but know it could be nutrient deficiency. And someone who knows will probably ask anyway! You might be closer to your answers!

We have ordered dry ferts to start dosing with...but as of right now...just the comprehensive and iron plus the root tabs. We got the root tabs from AquariumPlants.com...both the micro and macro varieties. The excel is added daily.

The little holes are probably potassium deficiency, then the sword looks like phosphate deficiency. If you could get some iron and phosphate root tabs, like the ones AquariumPlants.com makes, that would help the swords tremendously since they absorb most of their nutrients via their roots. Once your dry ferts come in you should see alot of improvement but the sword needs the tabs.

Looking at the algae if its not diatoms then I'd say it could be the start of beard algae. Try spot treating it with Excel and see if it goes away.

The little holes are probably potassium deficiency, then the sword looks like phosphate deficiency. If you could get some iron and phosphate root tabs, like the ones AquariumPlants.com makes, that would help the swords tremendously since they absorb most of their nutrients via their roots. Once your dry ferts come in you should see alot of improvement but the sword needs the tabs.

Looking at the algae if its not diatoms then I'd say it could be the start of beard algae. Try spot treating it with Excel and see if it goes away.

Thank you! I was hoping you would lend your advice here...lol. So...to clarify...the micro and macro root tabs from aquariumplants.com aren't enough...I need the iron and phosphate ones specifically? Also....we have treated the brown algae with excel and it does go away. However...to try to combat it like that would be tedious at best. So the question is if it goes away using excel do we conclude it is the beginning of beard algae for certain? If so...what is feeding it and how do we get rid of it all together? We have already cut our lights as much as we can stand...lol. Thanks again!

Girl your full of questions.. lol!!! Only the swords would need those root tabs or see if you can find a root tab high in iron and phosphate. And yes the dry ferts are all you need but understand swords and crypts draw most of the nutrients from the substrate not the water so they need to be fed via the roots.

Beard algae is rather a pain. It's caused by too much light, flexuating CO2 levels in the tank, some say high phosphates can cause it but I haven't found this to be true since I run a high phosphate tank. If your lights are down to 6 hours (just temp until you get it under control) you start dosing Excel or Glut at 1ml per 5 gallons, and go ahead and start spot treating your BBA with Excel, you should see improvements in a couple of weeks. The trick with algae in general is finding that balance in your tank or just the right amount of light, liquid carbon or CO2, and ferts. Also be sure your tank has a decent water flow in it. All your plants should be swaying slightly. Newer tanks are usually not mature enough to find that balance but it will happen. In the mean time you just have to be patient and keep working at finding the right balance. Oh BTW I can only run my big metal halides 6 hours a day.

Ok...thanks! I am full of questions...lol...always! Thanks for the input! ;-). Congrats on TOTM by the way! (See where learning to post photos has taken you?...lol). Your tank looks awesome!

Thanks! Yeah now I just need to perfect taking pic's.. lol! The tank is looking better since all the background plants have reached the surface and really filled in. Did alittle more tweeking (imagine that) so now I need to get all the midground plants filled in.

Back
Top Bottom