Help with refractometer, no instructions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flshoregirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

Just got my new refractometer today, when I opened it up there were no instructions included.

I know I need to calibrate it from reading other posts, but I'm not sure how many drops of water to use when I calibrate it, and how many when I test my water. It has a little pippen thing, but don't know if I should use the whole thing full or not.

Thanks for all the help!! :)

You need to use RO/DI water to calibrate it. You only need a few drops on the prism. Just enough to completely cover it when you flip down the plastic cover.

Look through the eye piece (may need to focus by turning the eye piece) and see where the line shows up. If using pure RO/DI water, the line should show up on the lowest possible reading which is probably a SG of 1.000 and a salinity of 1 ppt.

If it doesn't line up to those measurement, you may have to adjust it. Most have a srew on the top that you can turn to adjust the line up or down to get to a SG of 1.000 and a salinity of 1ppt. It probably came with a screw driver to do this.

What you need to do is place about three drops of distilled or RO water on the viewing lense. Close the lense cover and look through the other end. There should be a screw on top turn that so the colored bar is at 1.0
0. It is calibrated. You read salt levels the same way only you do not turn the calibration screw. No more than 3-4 drops. You do not want water seeping out the side of the lense cover when you do the reading or claibration only a contained puddle covering the top of the lense. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom