Help with Rockwork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowman17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Was doin a wc and a little redecorating and noticed my tank boss red zebra named crush was stuck in a fake log lol took like ten mins to free him without damage. Any tips on rockwork And scape?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131008_144605.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131008_144605.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 129
  • ForumRunner_20131008_144621.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131008_144621.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 117
  • ForumRunner_20131008_144634.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131008_144634.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 121
  • ForumRunner_20131008_144654.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131008_144654.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 123
Hey there,
I hope he does ok. I've never had a healthy fish get stuck like that. Interesting...

Aquascaping rock can be pretty cool. I like setting up a center piece in the tank and then build out from that.

I went down to our local stone yard and picked out two round river rocks that lay flat bout the same size. Then got a nice thick rock to lay across the river rocks to work as a stage. Then got a holy rock that looked interesting to be the center piece. Built it up right there to make sure it would be solid and stable.
I think it cost me about .40 to .50 cents p/pound. Try not to buy this at a LFS as they will charge you like 3 dollars p/pound.

In my 55 Gal I used the 'rule of thirds' and off centered the main piece.
You have some nice rocks, post up the final result.

47010-albums11423-picture62573.jpg

I personally believe the hard scape makes a tank. I go a bit rock in all of my tank. Mostly my 125 I have about 300 pounds in there. So that leads me toy suggestion more rock. I like to either go from the side down, or the middle to the sides. This time around I went from the back down to the front and I like it a lot.

Here's some of my past scapes plus my current one

image-1902328949.jpg

image-3516612663.jpg

image-3087363989.jpg

How do you know when you have to much weight in you're tank is there a weight limit on tanks according to there size I have an 80 gallon and I have some rock my substrate is about 4in of sand/ w gravel base I'm afraid to add a lot of rock don't want it to crack...

The bottom of a tank is made of tempered glass which is very strong. Depending how thick the glass is and if the weight is spread out you can add quite a bit. What's the thickness of your glass?

I personally believe the hard scape makes a tank. I go a bit rock in all of my tank. Mostly my 125 I have about 300 pounds in there. So that leads me toy suggestion more rock. I like to either go from the side down, or the middle to the sides. This time around I went from the back down to the front and I like it a lot.

Here's some of my past scapes plus my current one

Nice, how long is your tank? I change mine around almost everytime I do a water change I kinda like how it is now just need a few more rocks to make it taller. I also question the weight thing, I have your typical 55, and Texas holey rock is heavy along with the blue glass rock I have.

Nice, how long is your tank? I change mine around almost everytime I do a water change I kinda like how it is now just need a few more rocks to make it taller. I also question the weight thing, I have your typical 55, and Texas holey rock is heavy along with the blue glass rock I have.
my tank is a custom 125. It's 5 feet long instead of the standard 6.

IMO you don't really need to worry about the weight as long as it's not all in one spot and completely full of rock. Sand is a nicer cushion on the bottom than gravel also

Back
Top Bottom