Help with setting up a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShakyJay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am taking the plunge into the saltwater and have just bought a 75gal corner overflow tank. That is about all I have so far. I have decided that I am going to do a trickle filter setup, but other than that I really don't know what else to do. I would like to start off with a fish only tank, but eventually upgrade my lighting and what not to have some corals in there. I am going to do clown fish, tangs, and maybe something else, but that is down the road. First I need to get my setup. I am really at a loss of what to do and how to do it. If anyone has some suggestions as far as links to where I can actually buy products at a reasonable price that would be great as well. Thanks in advance for the help.

Well, where to start...You will need to think about what kind of substrate you want. I have argonite sand, but there are others around. You will need LR, heaters, PH's, I recommend a protein skimmer. I would suggest you go to a reputable LFS and talk with someone there who can show you different items. Also read everything you can about setting a tank up and also read up on what kind of fish you want. Make sure they are compatible and most importantly TAKE YOUR TIME! You don't want to rush the set up of your new tank. This site had excellent articles and I do alot of research about my livestock on
Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products
They also have many articles to read. You can get an idea of the types of equipment available as well as checking out different fish, inverts and corals on
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums
Hope this helps and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, everyone on this site is great!

So I have done a lot of research thusfar and just bought a trickle filter from my LFS along with a new pump, that will accomodate a uv kit in the future. I am going to plumb it in here in the next couple of weeks. I will post some pics if I can figure out how to.
I would like to go with the white fine sand tropical look, but as far as decorations I don't know. Will do live rock if I can find some at a decent price.
I am also looking to get a protein skimmer as well, but don't know if I should get it now or let my tank cycle and get established first?

I think after I got my LR in I ran everything during the cycle (protein skimmer, heaters, PH's, etc.). I just have LR and assorted shells in my tank for decorations. I was going with the "if it's not in the ocean it's not in my tank" philosophy.

Back
Top Bottom