Help With Simple Planted Rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking at restarting a simple planted tank that has not gotten off to a very good start thus far. I was trying to make it work out of my local stores, but their plant selection is inconsistent, and will rarely work with my low tech lighting. The result has been a 30 gallon tank with a healthy Java Fern a piece of driftwood and some sickly swords.

The tank is active with a very small population of fish that needs to be built back up as well. The current fish are one Female Swordtail, one Platy, one Bronze Cory, one Oto, and a Clown Pleco. I would like to build the school of Cories, add some Neon or Cardinal Tetras, and maybe some sort of center piece fish, but I am not set on anything in particular.

There is nothing high tech about my setup. I don’t have CO2 and I have a 20W T8 over the 30gallon tank. The substrate is just generic Aquarium gravel. Low light and tough is what I need. I am thinking of Corkscrew Val, Another Java Fern, Some Anubias, and Wendii Red Crypts in the foreground. I am not going for full coverage of the bottom, just some nice healthy plants to help with the tanks look and general health. Will these plants work in my setup? I am prepared to supplement with fertilizers, but I cant upgrade lighting or CO2, and don’t really want to. What would be the recommended online dealers for these plants? I only have the money to do this once so I want to pick the right stuff.

I've had luck with AquariumPlants.com (South Dakota), BamaPlants.com (Alabama) and ExtraPlant.us (Florida). But you should try the Classified forum here at AA first.

Back
Top Bottom