Help with tank bubbles in planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaChi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello Folks,

While my betta, assassin snail and shrimp seem to be doing OK; I noticed that I am having a lot of bubbles at the top of my 5-gallon aquarium. Not sure if I overdosed something (as in an additive) or not.

I do not have a water test kit and when I move my fingers through the bubbles I can make this dissipate for a while but they come back. I never use soap to clean the tank (so no worries there).

Is this due to over feeding?

Should I be concerned?

What to do to remedy?

:thanks:

:fish2:

Attachments

• IMG_2243-2.jpg
    IMG_2243-2.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 83
Hi! I'm new here, but from your pics, it looks like your betta is happy and building bubble nests! Mine fills the whole top of his 3 gallon tank sometimes. :lol:

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately these are too big for most bubble nests I have seen.

Also it is populating on top of the filter fountain media (where Fiji has no access for building) and sort of stays there despite the strong current pushing it off. Again I can make it dissipate with fingers... But it RETURNS... :blink:

Hopefully nothing to worry about.

:fish2:

:confused:

That "box" with rocks on it is the filter...so the filtration pads are in there and it sucks up the water and shoots it up in the air. Then the water cascades down the sides of the box back into the tank.

I hope that makes sense.

My concern is that the bubbles are clearly on top of the tank water itself also. The rocks were all cleaned (hot water and wiped off) when we cleaned the tank so there shouldn't be any residue on there. Should I just start doing water change outs? like 20%?

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I thought it might have something else beside filter media in there.

I'm wondering if this creates an effect something like a saltwater skimmer (without the collection cup). Could that be possible? I can't think of anything else unfortunately unless bubble volume/area covered comes and goes with adding something like a water conditioner. Maybe somebody will know.

Back
Top Bottom