Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anacharis is dying in my 55 gallon and java fern not growing. The water was around 80 so I have lowered it to 78. Lighting is 2 15 watt bulbs and I think that might be why. Any suggestions, and how much would it be to by higher watt bulbs? Thanks

well from what i have been reading and told by others, i to have a 55 gall tank and made it planted. you want atleasst 1 watt per gallon. i had to go to petsmart and purchase a t5 ho light ballast and bulbs. needless to say in a few days i see a difference in my plants and also in my tank. the light was 50 bucks and bulbs were 20 for the pair. cheap upgrade for a super lighting system that helps my tank thrive overall. any other question.... just ask away. but yes you will need to upgrade your lighting system

Tank Lighting

Hello liljosh...

You have a couple of plants that require moderate light and you have a low light tank. The Java fern is a slow grower and can do well in low light. I have a number of them in my 55 Gs with less than a watt per gallon and they do very well.

This Egeria variety you have needs moderate light and CO2 to do well. Not a good choice for low light. I'm not a real plant expert, but I believe 80 degrees is at the high end for this plant.

Best to up the wattage on the lights and lower the temp a little more to the mid 70s or look for some low light plants, like Anubias, varieties of Cryptocoryne and some of the mosses.

B

Back
Top Bottom