Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyTy98

Aquarium Advice Regular
How do you bring down the ammonia level in a 16 gallon tank??

Make sure you suck up all the rotting food and poo! Regular testing of the water will keep a close eye on when u need to do a water change. :)

I just did a water change yesterday and today 3 fish died.

davePM said:
What are the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

My ammonia level is in between .25 and .5

Attachments

• image-3967569729.jpg
    image-3967569729.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 67
Could have been a number of reasons for the fish loss after a water change...they may have already been on the way out because of the high level ammonia, and a drastic change to clean water could have been too much for them, possibly you changed too much water, or water contaminated, or they were totally scared!

Sorry for loss, it happens to the best of us.

davePM said:
What are the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

My nitrate level is in between 0 and .5. It is closer to .5

Probably the high ammonia. Have you cycled the tank? What size tank and what's in it? I would also recommend you get a liquid test (API) as the test strips are notoriously crap.

Ammo and nitrite should be 0, anything able .25 is toxic and requires immediate attention.

Neither the ammonia or nitrite levels are high enough to cause death after only 3 days, unless they were dramatically higher. (I think that's what I saw in another thread anyways... have they been there longer?)

davePM said:
Probably the high ammonia. Have you cycled the tank? What size tank and what's in it? I would also recommend you get a liquid test (API) as the test strips are notoriously crap.

Ammo and nitrite should be 0, anything able .25 is toxic and requires immediate attention.

It is 16 gallons and has two catfish
4 medium tetras
6 neon tetras
2 mystery snails
3 platys
3 African dwarf frogs 3 ghost shrimp and two small sucking fish

mfdrookie516 said:
Neither the ammonia or nitrite levels are high enough to cause death after only 3 days, unless they were dramatically higher.

They died after a PWC, so I assumed they could well have been higher.

One of my ghost shrimp was eating the dead corpse of a balloon belly eww

image-3046773711.jpg

I think this is a Molly. What do you think?? It was born today

Back
Top Bottom