Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgerad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. I'm new to this, and well...I just got a 20 gallon tank a few weeks ago. It's already been running and filter did its job and now I have fishes in it. Now all I need to know, how long before I need to switch the filter sponge ?

bgerad said:
Hello everyone. I'm new to this, and well...I just got a 20 gallon tank a few weeks ago. It's already been running and filter did its job and now I have fishes in it. Now all I need to know, how long before I need to switch the filter sponge ?

Hi and welcome to AA!
Usually you don't need to replace your filter media (sponge, bio balls, ceramic rings,etc) until it is literally falling apart. The BB (beneficial bacteria) live on your media so if you change it you are loosing your colony. What is recommended is that you rinse your media in a bucket of tank water during your weekly PWC (partial water change).
Are you aware of what cycling a new tank/filter is? I will add a link for you to have a read through.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! :)

RE: Filter

It should say on your filters, depending on the brand. But you always want some bacteria in the tank so you don't wanna change it at the small sign of dirt. But you can rinse the filter out every other week and change it about every 3 months....if you want to be absolutely sure google it! I'm only telling you how I cared for mine and they did just fine! Good luck! Any other ?'S just let me know!

Jenny79 said:
It should say on your filters, depending on the brand. But you always want some bacteria in the tank so you don't wanna change it at the small sign of dirt. But you can rinse the filter out every other week and change it about every 3 months....if you want to be absolutely sure google it! I'm only telling you how I cared for mine and they did just fine! Good luck! Any other ?'S just let me know!

Since the tank is probably still cycling it's not a good idea to change out any filter media. Loosing some BB from an established tank isn't a huge deal but from a cycling or newly cycled tank I wouldn't recommend it.

Jenny79 said:

Never go by what the package says, this is another way for companies to sell realistically unneeded products.

Changing every 3 months is not advisable for 2 reasons.

1. Very costly depending on the media you need to replace.

2. Changing all the media will result in the tank needing to re cycle (along with spikes of ammo and trItes)

If you do rinse the filter do it in the bucket of tank water you remove during a PWC, chlorine in the tap water will kill the BB off.

Think that covers what was posted lol :)

Thank you all ! Your all great teachers. I've learned something new today, and has came in handy and now I know what I must do. Lol if it weren't for you guys I would have probably done all the wrong things to my aquarium ...and yes, I will post any other questions I have when they pop up. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom