HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a thirty gallon tank... With a foot long pleco in it so I was upgrading to a 50 long I washed the crux out of the sand before putting it in but now it has just a little tint to it I mention the sand because I feel like it's the cause I have a filter and a half on it one job filter rated 30-50 and on canister fluval 304 which has a bad gasket so it's only doing half it's job but the problem is that the job filter and the heater in the tank which are both in great shape were from the thirty so I have to get this water cleAr in the next few hours!!! So I cAn move ZUES my pleco in there I REALLY REALLY DON'T WANNA LOSE HIM PLEASE HELP!!!

somebody skipped english class... what are your readings?(ammonia,nitrite,nitrate)

is there anything like driftwood in the tank? what colour is the tint? it might just be dust that made it through the rinse

edit: and you really should test your water,thatw ay you know if something is wrong(ie,an ammonia spike could mean that fishisnt just hiding)

So is the water cloudy? It's probably the sand; even if you rinsed it it will often cloud the water initially. Just run the filters for a while and it should clear up, it can take a few hours or even a day or two depending on how bad it is. The cloudy water shouldn't hurt the fish though unless there's something else going on.

librarygirl said:
So is the water cloudy? It's probably the sand; even if you rinsed it it will often cloud the water initially. Just run the filters for a while and it should clear up, it can take a few hours or even a day or two depending on how bad it is. The cloudy water shouldn't hurt the fish though unless there's something else going on.

Yes it is and it has been like that since... Well let me just explain what I did. I rinsed some of it and then would dump it into the tank.. ::repeat till I had desired amount of sand:: then I had about an inch if sand and about two inches of water in the entire tank. And when I would get at eye level with it it was a little cloudy. I think it was the sand. (by the way this is ordinary cheap play sand) and I will have tears in my eye If I have to bury ZUES my pleco today :(

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Yes it is and it has been like that since... Well let me just explain what I did. I rinsed some of it and then would dump it into the tank.. ::repeat till I had desired amount of sand:: then I had about an inch if sand and about two inches of water in the entire tank. And when I would get at eye level with it it was a little cloudy. I think it was the sand. (by the way this is ordinary cheap play sand) and I will have tears in my eye If I have to bury ZUES my pleco today :(

He died? Or you don't want him to die? If he died or does, it isn't because of the sand. I have similar in my tank and originally it clouded up my water really bad too. My pleco loved it tho! He digs in the sand and covers himself up and hides during the day

He is in a unlit unfiltered ingested tank for the past two hours he is fine and Imma put him in the tank now but I'm really scared :( if he lives it will be a wonderful tank if he dies I will be extremely upset!

He is in a unlit unfiltered ingested tank for the past two hours he is fine and Imma put him in the tank now but I'm really scared :( if he lives it will be a wonderful tank if he dies I will be extremely upset!

Its the sand. You should have added all the sand, then filled the tank with as little disturbance as possible, using a dish or something like that to break the force of the water entering the tank. Its not a big deal though, it will settle. If you are REALLY worried, you can see if you can find some CaribSea's BioMagnet Clarifier. I've used this with some sand before and it worked just fine.

THANK YOU ALL SSSSSOOOO MUCH! I moved him along with the three pink and one blue gourami and my little catfish (only bout an inch but I can't remember what he is at the moment) when I was putting the tank together I don't have much decor so I put a little tree and three plastic plants in one corner about an inch from the side. And sure enough he is hanging back there for now... Guess he needs to get a feel for the tank. And it's clearing up and I am just so so so happy with how it looks just need to buy some more decor and stick it :D

Get some driftwood, cholla wood and anything else for him to chew on that can double as decor.

Well how do I keep from seeing all the poop in the tank? Because with nice bright sand the poop really stands out.... :( any suggestions?

Ok I will I just wasnt sure if there was another way but thanks anyways you guys have been a big help

Back
Top Bottom