Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkociban

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wanted to make a refrigium for my 20 gallon long. Does anyone know how to make one I have a 5 gallon tank.

Your goin to want to go with a larger tank hardly any room for a fuge in a 5 gl you want to split it into 3 sections intake-fuge-return better to use a 10 or even a 20 long

Ok ill get a ten but I really need to know how to make one.

You'll definitely want a 10 or larger... a 5 won't give you enough room. A 10 will still be pretty tight if you're wanting a skimmer in there as well.

Google "homemade refugium"... there is a ton of info out there.

Take a look at my pics in my profile, I have a couple of pics of my fug I made myself. You need to decide what all you want in it and how much room you need. Then you can decide what size of a tank is needed for the fug. I have a chamber for the inlet where I have filter floss a chamber for the macro algae and a chamber for my pumps, protein skimmer and return pump. The best thing to do is research it on the net and look at other peoples ideas. You can get your local hardware store to cut glass for dividers and use aquarium silicone to put them in place.

Hey tevin if you need a hand id be happy to help but you need to keep in mind you'll have to get an overflow or drill the tank (which I reccomend). With that being said you could use a 5 as a fuge if its just that. Only reason you would need larger is if you want a sump/fuge. Also have you figured out what you can fit under your tank yet?

And on a side note. With a 20 gallon tank you could keep a healthy reef with no sump no fuge no skimmer and no filter. BUT you NEED good lighting. If i were you id be looking into a light upgrade in the near future before adding more filtration since you can combat parameters with water changes and good feeding schedule. Not much you can do in terms of lighting other then get a good light. Taotronics makes a very reef capable led for a pretty good price.

Back
Top Bottom