Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slammed500

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am relatively new to fishkeeping; my brother got a 45gal and decided to do saltwater, so he gave me his entire setup; a 29gal all glass, filter, heaters, decor, substrate, fish, etc. anyways; I got that setup and the Oscar he gave me got big enough that he needed to be in a bigger aquarium, so I was on the hunt. I bought a Tetra 30-60 filter and put it in the 29gal for the time being, eventually found a 55gal. Moved everything over to the 55, and got it going. It has been cloudy most of the time it's been running, and I tested the water; here are my results:

12/17 7:15pm
pH: 6.2
high pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 1.0ppm
Nitrite: .125ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm

What am I doing wrong? I don't think it is cycling again as the 30-60 was up and running just fine in the 29gal for nearly a month. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387347689.244346.jpg

Yes I used a seeded bio sponge from the old filter into the new for 3 weeks

What fish do you have in there - just out of curiosity?

If there is ammonia, it does seem the tank is cycling again. Did the substrate get stirred up a lot? I think if the substrate was very dirty, that might be enough to start a mini cycle? To be safe, you should probably be treating this as though you have a fish-in cycle going on, and do water changes to keep that ammonia and nitrite down.

I have a moderately sized Tiger Oscar (~7") 2 Demosani Cichlids (~1") a Yellow Lab Cichlid (~3") and a Blue Crayfish.

It sounds like a mini cycle to me keep doing 50 percent water changes at least every 3 days.

I know this isn't what your asking about but I highly reccomend moving out all the African Cichlids who will cause problems with your Oscar in the future. Or rehome the Oscar since in a 55 gallon you really can't have anything else besides the Oscar.

By the looks of it you pH is getting really low. I would get that pH up to at least over 6.5. bb starts to slow down at 6.5 and completely stops and starts to die at 6. I think this could be your issue with why you are going through a mini.

I think the Ammo was up because my crayfish killed some plants in the back and I didn't catch on. I read that somewhere. Anyways thanks for the info everyone!

Back
Top Bottom