Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dolly1986

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi new member here and I need help.
I have recently been given a 60 litre tank with several fish ( 2 angel, 2 gourami, 1 neon tetra) unsure of the rest. When I got the tank 1 of the gourmies could not swim properly and he lay mostly on his side at the bottom of the tank. I assumed swim bladder as I had seen this before in other fish I have owned and started treatment for it, he seemed to improve but then a lump started to on the side of his head. This morning I noticed white stuff was coming out of it, it's not liquid it seems looks solid. I would be grateful for any help given.

You've been put in quite an interesting situation!

It seems these fish were really poorly taken care of.

It's hard to make a good assumption without more background. I'll ask you some questions to expand on what you've said in a second.

For now, there are few things you can do to alleviate his pain and possibly help him stay alive a few days longer: a waterchange and a salt paste.

A 60 L tank is extremely small for all those fish. A water quality issue has probably contributed significantly to the problem.
To fix this, you're going to need to do a waterchange, a huge one. Upgrading the tank and filter is also highly recommended.

If you already do weekly waterchanges of 50% or more please do a 80 - 100 % waterchange immediately.

If you do infrequent or small water changes, please do a 50% water change (because freshwater fish can handle it and really really need large volumes of water changed at least once a week). And everyday afterward do 80 - 100 % waterchanges until your sick fish recovers.

Alright, so we have the water quality issue taken care of. Now, let's address the lump and fungus.

You're going to want to do a salt paste, salt dip and medicinal treatment.

The only thing is...until you answer a few of my questions I can't recommend a medicine. The salt dip should be done right before you give the medicine. A salt dip will strip the slime coat and "shock" the parasites living on your fish. It's an awesome step to do before medicating.

The salt paste you should do as soon as possible.
Take out some tablesalt (the deionized kind, sea salt works too) After you've done your large waterchange gently move your fish to a seperate container filled with tank water. Make sure this container has never been used for chemicals (soap, bleach, etc).

Take about a tablespoon of salt and add one drop of tank water at a time until you get a paste consistency. Gently dap this paste over the fungus. Let is sit for a minute (no more!) Gently wipe the paste off. The fungus should wipe off with it. It's noraml for the area to be irritated and red afterwards. Return fish to tank.

Questions:

- Do you know your water parameters? (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate)
If not, please get an API Freshwater test kit (with the bottles) and figure that out. It's crucial to a fish keeper and well worth the money.

- Is your fish pooping? If so, please describe the poop.

- Does your fish have a red vent? (The place where the poop comes out.) or a red worm hanging out of it?

- How long have you had your fish?

- Touch your fish gently, does he seem overly-slimey or weirdly "dry"?

Thank you for reading!

Thank you for your response
I have just checked ph ammonia nitrate and nitrite levels they are all normal. It's poo looks a medium brown colour and he seems to be regular, he doesn't have a red vent and he doesn't feel dry or overly slimy.
I've had him almost 2 months unsure how long the previous owner had him.

Okay. So the tank isn't cycled. That can happen when you move a tank if you're not careful. Read up on fish-in cycles so that you can help your fish get healthy.

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.0
KH 120
GH 120
With that many fishes Nitrate being at 0 tells me the tank is going through a cycle because if it were established you would have nitrates anywhere from 10 and up, ammonia is the first stage of the nitrogen cycle, then nitrites (more deadly for fish), then nitrates

Is this test from a api master liquid test kit? If not and it is from strips they are not accurate.

If it is a liquid test kit there's different things you have to do with the Nitrate you don't have to do with the other tests,
You add 10 drops to tube shake lightly let tube sit, shake bottle #2 vigorously for 30 seconds, add 10 drops from bottle 2 shake for 1 min let sit for 5.

There's articles on here for fish in cycles, not very humane as gouramies are very sensitive fish to begin with but with the proper techniques and keeping up on partial water changes etc etc he will improve, and a 60L is way to small for those fish.

With that many fishes Nitrate being at 0 tells me the tank is going through a cycle because if it were established you would have nitrates anywhere from 10 and up, ammonia is the first stage of the nitrogen cycle, then nitrites (more deadly for fish), then nitrates

Is this test from a api master liquid test kit? If not and it is from strips they are not accurate.

If it is a liquid test kit there's different things you have to do with the Nitrate you don't have to do with the other tests,
You add 10 drops to tube shake lightly let tube sit, shake bottle #2 vigorously for 30 seconds, add 10 drops from bottle 2 shake for 1 min let sit for 5.

There's articles on here for fish in cycles, not very humane as gouramies are very sensitive fish to begin with but with the proper techniques and keeping up on partial water changes etc etc he will improve, and a 60L is way to small for those fish.

I like this reply!

I used the testing strips
I'm going out today to get the proper kit.

I used the testing strips
I'm going out today to get the proper kit.
Okay good idea its a must have for fish keeping and will save you money in the long run, they are costly but it's something you have to have to make sure your fish stay healthy, and if something happens you test the water and can find out if it's out if wack

Back
Top Bottom