Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreek

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I noticed my platy and honey gourami have white and stringy poo...Is this okay? 2 weeks ago I tested my water and my ammonia was 0.25, so I did daily 25% changes for about 9 days. my gouramis and platy just sit at the top (or at the bottom) of the tank all day. they still eat, and sometimes swim around.

The platy has red gills and clamped fins, but my gouramis don't look out of the ordinary other than the white poo.

My 20g has been set up for almost 2 months, at the time I didn't know what a cycle was so I just threw the fish in :facepalm:

What does all of this mean, and how can I help my fish?

Its probably just a bacterial infection from the 'bad' bacteria being more numerous than the good gut flora.
If you smell a tank that isn't cycled yet, has ammonia, it "stinks" like rotten garbage.
If you smell a healthy mature aquarium, it smells good, like lake good bacteria.
This along with the damage from ammonia is surely whats causing your fish to get sick.
Im not sure what to tell you ecept maybe get some methylene blue and use this as an extended bath in a separate tank or container. Its cheap, works for ammonia/nitrite poisinig, its just messy and will kill good bacteria. Only as a bath. Long bath is fine. Ive had them in a hospital tank with M blue for over a week before. its good for them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom