HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amaramwhite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon freshwater planted aquarium. I only have 2 guppies and 4 neon tetras so I don't believe I have overstocked my tank. I have the Aquaeon QuietFlow 10 Filter. Now, the problem I have been having is a green tint to my water? I do weekly water changes and I clean the inside glass every other day which leaves me to question if algae plays a role in this? I use the API CO2 Booster and Leaf Zone for my plants. I tried the root tabs and made my water change colors but anyway can anyone give me some advice? Is it my filter? If its algae, how can I stop it? This has been very discouraging for me.

I have a 10 gallon freshwater planted aquarium. I only have 2 guppies and 4 neon tetras so I don't believe I have overstocked my tank. I have the Aquaeon QuietFlow 10 Filter. Now, the problem I have been having is a green tint to my water? I do weekly water changes and I clean the inside glass every other day which leaves me to question if algae plays a role in this? I use the API CO2 Booster and Leaf Zone for my plants. I tried the root tabs and made my water change colors but anyway can anyone give me some advice? Is it my filter? If its algae, how can I stop it? This has been very discouraging for me.

Not sure if it is Algae because with Algae you should see green stuff on all the plants, decor, etc but the color of the water turning green I am not sure. But if it is, then you can get some snails or some kind of algae eating fishes that will do the cleaning part for you.

How long are your lights on? Lighting is usually #1 cause of algae.

Can reduce time lights are on, or add a siesta period if you can (ex. 4hrs on 4off 4on).

I turn my lights on when I wake up and before I go to bed at night. How long should it be kept on? or off? I had no idea.

In my opinion I would cut back to 6hrs a day until the algae goes away, then you can increase it some more slowly untill you find what works for you.

My 10 gallon tank is on 8hrs a day with a 4hr siesta. My 75 gallon tank has a finnex 24/7 so it's on high about 6hrs and a lower setting the rest of the (24 HR automatic cycle) day.

I'm not firmiliar with a "siesta". Is your 10 gallon on for 4 hours then off for 4 then back on again for 4?

Yes that break doesn't allow the algae to perform photosynthesis. The break also allows co2 to naturally buildup in the water for plants to use and grow the 2nd 4hrs on. Sorry this is the redneck explanation, not the scientific one. Lol

I didn't explain well I'm but many with planted tanks recommend it's use.

Okay! Thank you so much!!! I am definitely going to try that!

Green water is not a very easy thing to get rid of sadly.

The easiest (and most expensive) is to get a UV sterilizer. They are very effective and will prevent the green water from returning.

Otherwise, a blackout for 4 days should suffice. That means covering every exposed inch of the tank with cardboard so no light whatsoever can get in. No peeking until the end of the 4 day period. It will help to run an air stone at this time.

Thanks Mebbid didn't realize a blackout was necessary, never had to do one. Was commenting on algae which I have had.

Amara... Sorry if I gave you inaccurate information, was commenting on algae, never had to do a blackout. Hope Mebbid's information helps you, he knows his stuff. Glad you got the right information, very sorry if I was off base on mine.

Toolman, the information you gave me was useful. I leave my lights on FAR too long during the day and my tank is planted so I'm hoping the siesta will do wonders. I'm going to try the blackout! Thank you both!

Thanks for your kindness, but I did misunderstand part of the situation. Don't ever want to give any inaccurate information or advice. I'm glad what I gave will help you and VERY glad Mebbid was here to add what you needed, many times I see posts go unanswered while poster is nervously needing help.

Glad we could help, let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Thanks for your kindness, but I did misunderstand part of the situation. Don't ever want to give any inaccurate information or advice. I'm glad what I gave will help you and VERY glad Mebbid was here to add what you needed, many times I see posts go unanswered while poster is nervously needing help.

Glad we could help, let us know how it turns out. Good luck!
Its all a part of being in an aquarium community. Nearly everyone is here to learn something and the only way to do that is to participate in discussion.

Back
Top Bottom