HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoriLeskiw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay here is the issue. my 30 gal has been cycled for well over a year. the only new fish added was the Bichirs early last month. yesterday I came home to about 4 adult mollies and about 3 platies. I was away from home for about 8 hours and not sure how long they had been dead. so fished them out and decided to test my water. Nitrites, nitrates and ammonia were off the charts.

Only thing I could do was a 50% water change and order prime and amquel since it was well past midnight. I did stop at walmart to get prime because website said they had it. they lied so I found some jungle ammonia clear fizz tabs. directions say add 1 tab per 10 gal and for high ammonia levels use up to 2 times the dose. so I did and very little change. so the other stuff won't be here until monday. I want to hopefully save te remaining fish and I have 3 tanks I can utilize. Can I house 3 -3 inch bichirs temporarily in a 10 gallon. it would just be until monday. the remaining mollies and platies can go in the 25 gallon with the others or I could put all but the bichirs in my 75 gallon which currently houses 20 kuhli's, 7 corycats, 2 plecos, 10 albino emperor tetras and 6 german blue rams

I think it will depend on what level of fish the 10 gallon normally has. As more than that and I think you will get an ammonia spike. So that would be my only thought of trying to balance fish shifts to what tanks are cycled to handle.

How often do you check the water parameters? What is your water change routine? It's a possibility the bichir killed the platy's and mollies. Don't put the bichir in the 75 gallon due to risk of fish being harmed.

I do a weekly water change and check my water parameters weekly also. Since this happened I have done 2 - 50% water changes and also cleaned out my canister filter which was loaded with bits of duckweed. I have also dosed with Prime and will do another water change tomorrow and try getting all the duckweed out of the tank. So far things look like they are going back to normal. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom