Helping Cycling 29 gallon tank and sick platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevan07

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I have a 29 gallon tank that I actually set up and filled with water last fall (around October 2013 I believe). I was going to cycle it at that time but I noticed my heater was broke so I decided to just leave it running with the filter and the light off until Christmas at which point I could get a new heater. After Christmas I installed the new heater (around the second week of January 2014). I watched it for about two weeks to make sure the temperature stayed steady (which it did, I keep it at 77.5 degrees).

This week I decided to go ahead and get a few fish to begin cycling the tank. On Tuesday I purchased 4 platies. The one was sick from the moment I got her (not sure if it was a parasite or bacteria but her tail was deformed, she then had white growth on her tail and literally wasted away, very skinny, she died less then 48 hours after I got her), the two other females then each came down with something... the one had the same white fuzzy growth but it attacked her stomach (she died this morning, she also had a strange black ball that was covered in white fuzz lying next to her), then the other one looks like her tail has been run through a shreader and from her midsection back to her tail is white (although I would not say it is fuzzy). This morning the male came down with ich.

In regards to the water in the tank I have tested it every day since adding the fish and everytime both ammonia and nitrites are at 0ppm. What I am wondering is, would it be possible that since I let the tank sit full of water and with the filter running for so many months that it cycled itself? Or is it to early in the process and that is why my readings are at 0? I just don't see how a tank can have four fish (well now two) with some of them dying and the ammonia does not go up at all.

My next question is what should I do about the two sick fish that are still in the tank? The one that has the white shredded tail acts fine, she just looks terrible. Obviously the ich is deadly but if I treat that fish with higher temperature and salt will that kill the other one? Although I suppose at this point it doesn't really matter since neither of them look like they will last too long.

I know the first mistake was that I bought sick fish, but what I need to know now is how can I fix this problem?

As a side note the pH in this tank is off the scale 8.8 is the highest my kit will test too as is the hardness which as I understand basically means unless you can get your water softened the pH will not drop. I was just planning on keeping hardy fish/ones that are okay with hard water and high pH but if anyone has had this problem and knows how to fix it I would really appreciate the help.

I think that is everything. Thank you to anyone that can point me in the right direction. I guess if all else fails the tank can just sit their without fish since with all the silk plants and fake rocks and driftwood it is quite pretty. Or if these two fish die then I guess next time maybe it would be better to try the fishless cycle.

At this point I think keeping the water very clean and slowly turning up the temp/salt would be your best bet. There are actually lots of fish that do well in hard water. I would google it. If you want to try reducing your hardness, you might try collecting rain water if it rains often in your area.

Also, if you are ok with just a pretty aquascape, why not try the fishless cycle and then make sure you purchase HEALTHY fish :) Take your time, you can always come back next week if the fish look bad this week.

One more thing. Get (demand) a refund for those fish, obviously diseased fish shouldn't be sold anyway!

Thank you for your help. :) My only question now is does the platy that has ich have any chance of recovering or since he is already showing the white spots he is basically done for and this treatment is more for the benefit of the other fish?

It rains some here but it pretty much goes the entire summer without rain. I think I will just stick to fish that are okay with hard water that way I don't have to worry about fluctuations with each water change.

It he does die though I think I will do the fishless cycle. I have never tried it before but it sounds a lot easier and more humane then the fish-in cycle. Besides that tank has had no fish for almost 4 months another month or two won't make much of a difference.

If this fish does happen to die from the ich will I first need to treat the tank for the ich and then fishless cycle or will the added ammonia and the fact that there are no fish in the tank get rid of it on its own?

Lastly, that white fuzzy stuff that was on my first two (now dead) platies. Is that super contagious/still in my tank or does it just disappear once the fish die? If it is somehow still floating in my tank how do I get rid of it?

Thank you again for all the help and advice.

The Platy with ich should be able to recover with frequent WCs and raising the temp to 82 degrees for a few weeks. Ich will run through its cycle in about two weeks at high temps and should be gone after that. Hard water is fine as long as your PH it remains stable the fish will adjust to it without problems as long as they are okay with the hard water. The white fuzz should be gone after a few weeks at the high temps and frequent WCs. I would do a fish less cycle if you end up losing the Platys because it's easier and more humane.

Sounds good. Should I do a water change first then raise the temperature by two degrees per hour till it is at 82 degrees or would that be too quick? Also once I add the salt will I be able to still do water changes or am I going to need to leave it alone for two weeks until the ich has run it's course? Or do I not need the salt?
I heard that once the ich attaches it then falls off and has a free swimming period at which point it then finds a new host and starts all over. Since the platy got it once if he does manage to survive will he get it again when this happens since he is the only one still in the tank?

Thank you for the help.

I don't use salt but just raise the temps. Two degrees per hour should be okay since you are sort of in an emergency situation. It doesn't matter if the ich is attached or not because it will run through its reproductive cycle too quickly at high temps for it to survive more than a couple of weeks. It's something all fish keepers get every now and then so don't beat yourself up for anything. I've seen it come in healthy looking fish and because of the stress of moving tanks the fish become susceptible to it. Not much you can do other than raise temps and smile while you wait for the ich to die.

Good luck with your ich, heat has worked better than any meds for me (I do 88F which is pretty high, but my fish have been fine). You can almost never do too many water changes with ich!
Also just a side note. Fish-in cycles CAN be very humane. You just have know what you are doing and be very diligent with your testing and WC. It is more physically demanding and time consuming but if done right is just as humane as fishless cycling.
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Good luck with your ich, heat has worked better than any meds for me (I do 88F which is pretty high, but my fish have been fine). You can almost never do too many water changes with ich!
Also just a side note. Fish-in cycles CAN be very humane. You just have know what you are doing and be very diligent with your testing and WC. It is more physically demanding and time consuming but if done right is just as humane as fishless cycling.
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Okay, I agree. Can be humane if done properly. I'm too busy to keep up with a fish-in cycle. I have done both fish-in and fishless and find the fishless much less stressful on me ?

Thank you for the help. :)

My only question about the cycling is, is it normal for the ammonia and nitrites to still read 0ppm? The fish were added to the tank on Tuesday so it has been 4 days. I have tested the water every single day at the same time and it always has this reading... Does this sound right or is there something wrong with my test kit? I have an API Master Test Kit but it is around 8 years old or so.

I ordered a new test kit but it won't arrive till next week (mainly so that I would have the Nitrate test and could see if there was any of that in the tank).

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom