Helping finding the right plant species for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wild

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, i'm slowly starting to fill in my tank with plants.
I am just having some trouble finding some types i of plants to fit what i want.
Current Set up:
Stock Lighting (8,000k daylight)
1 1/2 gravel base
36 Gal

I am probably going to buy Flourish soon, and i can buy Excel and root tabs if needed but i'd rather avoid it if possible. And i am a plant newb here so nothing overly sensitive or one that will need exessive pruning as i'm afraid i'd kill the plant trying :brows:

I am looking for
-really tall plants, they can be bushy or stemy, i just want some cover in the back of my tank.
-really short grass-like plants for some front cover.
-any truly aquatic moss? I seem to only find semi-aquatic stuff.

Also i know Java ferns can be tied on to plastic and still grown, is there any other plants?

Thanks for all your help!

You're really going to be pressed for light with that fixture. Do you have anything growing well so far?

So far my Wisteria is growing just fine, it's put on some new leaves in the 2 weeks i've had it and had quite a bit of new root growth. It is growing the rounded leaves though, not the jagged type it had when i bought it.

And i just planted anubias today so we'll see how it goes.

I'm not looking for any fancy plants or anything, just something that will give my fish some cover and line-of-sight breaks.

Wisteria is what I would recommend for what you want. It can get quite bushy. Depending on your light, you might also like dwarf sag.

My Wisteria doesn't seem to be that bushy though, does it fill out as it becomes more established?

So if i get a bunch of wisteria can it be kept short if i trim it? Or will it die?

It might be your light though. Wisteria has a reputation for being too bushy, if anything. Mine certainly lives up to its reputation.

Probably my light then. Hopefully when it gets a little closer to the light it'll start to fill out.

Also, is there any plants that i can tie to plastic? I've heard Java Ferns are good low light plants that can be tied on to things. Will they work for me?

Back
Top Bottom