Hemianthus Callitrichoides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is Co2 essential for this plant to grow? I want to plant some in my 17litre tank, I don't have co2 but do dose with ferts.

Also, this is probably a silly question but... when a seller says its selling 5 HC, does this mean its only 5 small plants, rather than a big bunch?

Another question.... I just spent a bit on some Windelov and every java fern I have had has turned black, which has resulted in me throwing it in the bin. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what causes this, and what I can do to prevent it before the same happens to this new, expensive piece I just bought. :)

My tank stats are all 0ppm with Nitrates - 5ppm
Temp - 80 -82f - the light usually elevates it slightly.
I dose with flourish comprehensive.

I have bought plants that say 30 plants etc. An when they come they are usually 6 plants in bunches of 5, not actually 30 separate ones, but I am sure you could split them up and plant individually.

Also with your java fern, this might sound stupid, but are you planting it in substrate? Mine do a lot better when just sat on top of the substrate and not actually under it.

What's your lighting situation like?:)

It's a 27watt 6500k bulb flourescent, its on for about...14 hours a day maybe, and have 0 algae, so I must be doing something right lol

I have bought plants that say 30 plants etc. An when they come they are usually 6 plants in bunches of 5, not actually 30 separate ones, but I am sure you could split them up and plant individually.

Also with your java fern, this might sound stupid, but are you planting it in substrate? Mine do a lot better when just sat on top of the substrate and not actually under it.

On average, how long do you reckon it will take to carpet a tank?

I always tie my java fern to driftwood, or rocks, never in the substrate. Could it be something to do with, not enough nutrients? I do use Flourish comprehensive, as I mentioned in my first post, but I've always been told that it has everything I need for my type of setup.

I like Kent pro-plant. Have had great results with Kent pro-plant in the past but things didn't happen overnight especially in a non-CO2 setup. Tried Flourish comprehensive because I had some store credit built up at the lfs and had to use it because I was moving out of the area. Flourish didn't work nearly as well for my java ferns. However, i was in a new area with new water source and that could have made a difference.

Back
Top Bottom