Here there be Dragons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demonknight

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, just one dragon atm, and not the fishy kind, but it DOES live in a fish tank :angel:
263982_10150286292375477_766940476_9210653_2886309_s.jpg
and
254105_10150286292805477_766940476_9210664_5069407_s.jpg

Neither my girl friend or I have had these before, anyone else here have them and have tips for us?

This one loves to be on/around "her" people so she gets handled a lot here...think she spends more time with the girl friend than I get to
264829_10150286927185477_766940476_9217154_3306965_n.jpg

If you feed it crickets, remember to sprinkle calcium powder on them. Beardies need that. Also, when it gets bigger, you may want to feed it pinky mice instead. It will be cheaper in the long run. Handle it a lot so it gets used to people and doesn't grow up to be shy. They love all sorts of fruits and veggies. A varied diet will keep it healthier. :) Congrats on your new pet. It is pretty cute.

No don't feed pinkies. That's the worst thing. I have had beardies before. Crickets and superworms are the best. No pinkies or mealworms. Look for repcal calcium dust and repcal multivitamin dust. They need that and a good uv bulb. I recommend a reptisun 10.0 bulb changed every six months . Offer lettuce daily as adults they eat 80 percent veggies and 20 percent crickets. If it's a baby it's 80 percent crickets and 20 percent veggies. Don't feed spinach at all. Feed babies as many crickets as they will eat in 15 minutes 2 times a day. Adults no more than 50 crickets per week. I went through 1000 crickets a week when mine was a baby . Any questions you have just ask

Why not on the mealworms? When we got this one we were told she was a picky eater, but she hogs down pretty much anything we toss into her tanks, Romain, mixed greens, dandelions, superworms, crickets, and the dead mealworms (we were told she wouldn't eat dead things, boy was that wrong)...she even ate some diced up asparagus I brought home from work (I'm a Chef)

i have one!! i love him sooo much he's going on vacation with me. mines in a 20 gallon long right now and will soon have a costum mantion. ill post pics when i get on the iphone app. mine loves rocks and his hammock.

Pinkies cause obesity in herps. It's a really archaic thing to feed nowadays. 10-20 years ago it was in vogue because it gave already nutritionally starved animals a chance to look healthy and fat but it was really destroying their livers. Feed a staple of crickets, flowers like squash flowers and hibiscus, berries, field greens and worms. Mealworms as long as they are fed sparingly are a good source of extra calcium. Larger animals aren't as much at risk for impaction either and beardies get big. 12-20 inches big. Also, as they get bigger and older they'll eat more and more greenery and fruits so it becomes less necessary to feed meaty foods which is also an even bigger reason not to feed pinkies.

well she sure likes her greens, just about anything green is gobbled up. Crickets seem to be a hit or miss as she usually only eats one or two out of 5 right off, give her some meal worms or those super worms and she pigs out.

Hondatek said:
No don't feed pinkies. That's the worst thing. I have had beardies before. Crickets and superworms are the best. No pinkies or mealworms. Look for repcal calcium dust and repcal multivitamin dust. They need that and a good uv bulb. I recommend a reptisun 10.0 bulb changed every six months . Offer lettuce daily as adults they eat 80 percent veggies and 20 percent crickets. If it's a baby it's 80 percent crickets and 20 percent veggies. Don't feed spinach at all. Feed babies as many crickets as they will eat in 15 minutes 2 times a day. Adults no more than 50 crickets per week. I went through 1000 crickets a week when mine was a baby . Any questions you have just ask

This. I've raised three beardies since I was a young fella and this is spot on. Spinach, kale, broccoli all bind calcium so stay away from them.

Ahh...I wanted one of these so bad:( got a bigger fish tank instead. I've had leopard geckos before but they're not as cool. And yeah don't feed iceberg lettuce only dark greens. I've heard a beardie will even eat a live fish out of water!

Back
Top Bottom