Here's what I want

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qozux

Aquarium Advice Regular
http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage....200909300232:,3:200909300239:,1:201004011149:

That's what it would be in a 90G. I'm really thinking I want a 125 or 150. No matter what I will build a nice rock/driftwood structure to give everyone hiding places and closely monitor any aggression. Regardless, I plan to add them all as juvies so if they were to outgrow a 90, I could upgrade. I also hope to get the EBJD and GT in the female variety to keep size and aggression down a smidge.
I know these are some of the more aggressive cichlids, but I've read from a lot of people that they've had great success with them and they are my favorites from my research.

Anyone know how long it takes for these species to grow?

Always open to recommendations as well.

My other (future) project idea is to get a tank that just holds 1 oscar, 1 turtle, and 1 medium sized pleco, plus a small school of feeder fish. I'm willing to hear criticism here too. :)

Have heard that can't keep fish with a turtle as turtle likes the flavour. Would have done it myself otherwise

Have heard that can't keep fish with a turtle as turtle likes the flavour. Would have done it myself otherwise

I've heard the same to an extent, but I was thinking that maybe having the feeder fish in there for snacks would keep the turtle away from the pleco, and I think an oscar wouldn't look very appetizing.

You dont have to worry about aggression from EBJD's they are very docile. People keep them in community tanks. I have kept them with cherry barbs. Which may cause a problem with keeping it with a GT. if you get an ornery GT it might tear apart your EBJD. A regular Jack would be fine with a GT in a 90 if you introduce them as juvies.

PS most EBJD's are male. I don't know why just what I read.

You dont have to worry about aggression from EBJD's they are very docile. People keep them in community tanks. I have kept them with cherry barbs. Which may cause a problem with keeping it with a GT. if you get an ornery GT it might tear apart your EBJD. A regular Jack would be fine with a GT in a 90 if you introduce them as juvies.

PS most EBJD's are male. I don't know why just what I read.

Thanks! I learned a lot from that post haha.
I saw some JDs today and some were much darker than others, is there any diff here in personality or size or anything really?

Thanks! I learned a lot from that post haha.
I saw some JDs today and some were much darker than others, is there any diff here in personality or size or anything really?

Glad I could help. Are you referring to Regular JD or EBJD? If EBJD no they just have variations of color.

If Regular JD It depends on the size if you are talking adults that are fully colored you may be looking at different sexes. Regular Male JD have more blue coloring all along their bodies which might make them look less dark. The Females blue speckling is mostly along the top, face and covering their gill plates making them appear darker. When sexing the best thing to look at is the beards (gill plates) females have beards (blue markings) males don't, opposite from humans. :)

Then again if they are sub adult then some are just developing colors faster than others.

I was looking at regular JDs and they couldn't have been much more than 2".

Back
Top Bottom