Hermaphrodite platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S4tune

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I purchased two blue Mickey Mouse platies from my lfs last weekend. I bought what I thought were a male and female. However for the past week I've been noticing he/she has absolutely no interest in the other 2 platy females in the tank at all. Also I have a male guppy who will not leave this fish alone even though he has plenty of female guppies. Also the male guppy does not bother the other two female platies. Upon closer inspection it looks as if this "male" platy has a gravid spot. So I'm wondering if, A). I purchased a female with a deformed anal fin or B) the fish is a hermaphrodite.

Ok so I purchased two blue Mickey Mouse platies from my lfs last weekend. I bought what I thought were a male and female. However for the past week I've been noticing he/she has absolutely no interest in the other 2 platy females in the tank at all. Also I have a male guppy who will not leave this fish alone even though he has plenty of female guppies. Also the male guppy does not bother the other two female platies. Upon closer inspection it looks as if this "male" platy has a gravid spot. So I'm wondering if, A). I purchased a female with a deformed anal fin or B) the fish is a hermaphrodite.

Its probably not a hermaphrodite per se; but I have heard of platys changing sex when needed supposedly.

Whatever it is it's strange I have pictures but can't figure out how to upload them from my phone.

Back
Top Bottom