Hermit Crab Battle Royal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKFMedic

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gal nano reef, which was an upgrade from a 12 gal nano. With the upgrade I added an additional 5 hermit crabs to go with the five I already had and it seems lately all they want to do is try to kill each other for their shells.

I'm used to seeing a couple at a time get tangled up, but quite literally, all eight visible hermit crabs this evening were all over each other fighting. I hate to see them fight, and like it even less when they try to kill one of my snails! I've tossed a few extra shells in the tank, but they don't seem interested which leads me to my next question. Are there other crabs that I can consider that won't spend their days trying to kill one another but do the same job as members of a clean up crew?

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas, it would be appreciated!

Mike

Thanks Sniper!

I have two emeralds in the tank now, and they are great. Do you think if I added a third, I could eventually ditch or through attrition, not replace the hermits and still be able to manage cleaning needs of a 30 gal. reef tank?

Best Regards,

Mike

They could just be fighting over new territories in the bigger tank and trying to claim dominance

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom