Hermit Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jburgi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a random hermit question. I got 3 scarlet hermits about a month or so ago. They are really cool, but they have really long shells, which they seem to have a rough time navigating.
Anyway, I have been meaning to get some other shells for them in case they wanted a new mobile home, but I haven't got around to ordering any yet (I don't really have a lfs where I live). So today when I was cleaning my tank I noticed that one of the hermit shells was empty. I was sad because I thought that he must have died. Then after I was done cleaning and admiring my tank I found him! He killed one of my snails and stole its shell. The killing of the snail for the shell is not what I found peculiar...what I found so strange about it was that the shell that he moved into is more than half the size of the last shell! I thought they moved up, not down! Especially since if he was going to steal a shell from a snail there are bigger snails in the tank!
So I guess I am curious...is this normal? When I get more shells for the hermits, should i get some that are smaller as well as larger?

Thanks for reading my rambles :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom