Hermit crabs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone here kept any hermit crabs at all? I saw some tiny ones at a petshop for $0.99. They were labled as zebra hermit crabs even though they were red. Are they hard to keep, What do they eat? How long do they live?

I can't speak about zebra hermits but most people here have hermits of some sort. All the ones I know about (which do not include zebra hermits) are very easy to keep and will scavenge for food. You don't have to feed them specifically. They live at least a year; that's how long I've had mine.

Reef hermits are a great addition to the tank's clean-up crew. They are hardy, and vitually maintanance free. They will eat detritus from the substrate and any LR. I am a fan of the scarlet reef hermits. I have three dozen in my 72gal reef and 6 in my nano reef.

Here's one point where I differ from Lando. Anything with claws has been removed from the tank. The hermits that survived were relegated to the sump. Hermits will kill each other and snails for their shells and I prefer the job the variety snails I have do to having hermit crabs munch on them.

I tried having plenty of empty shells around but the blue leg and scarlet fought each other and snails over and over. Overfeeding the tank did not help.

I suspect Lando is spot feeding his hermits with valium :lol:

They have those hermit crabs labled as Zebra hermit crabs, but they are red. I guess they mislabel things alot.

i dont think the more common hermits do any damage other than fighting eachother once in a while and mabey sitting on the ocational coral if you like wathin the little jerks dont be scared to buy some

Back
Top Bottom